Reporting use taxes during a period when Airbnb collected on only some guests?

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Reporting use taxes during a period when Airbnb collected on only some guests?

In July Airbnb started collecting Michigan sales/use tax, but only on reservations made or modified after July 1 (ie. they didn't collect for guests who'd reserved in March but stayed in July).

About half my guests paid taxes through Airbnb under the new system, while the other half reserved months before, so I collected those taxes as I've been the last couple years.

Soon I'll need to submit quarterly revenue numbers (and pay the associated taxes) for July-Sept quarter.

I'm not sure how to handle this - I'm leaning toward reporting only the revenue/taxes I collected, and letting Airbnb report for stays they collected. If I report all the revenue, the system will ask me to pay the use tax out of my pocket which Airbnb currently has in theirs. It's a little complicated by the fact that the rep said Airbnb wouldn't report quarterly - just annually (hoping this won't get me in hot water)

I called Airbnb about this a month or so ago, and it was escalated to the Tax and Legal team, aka the black hole from which no answer ever escapes, so I guess I'm on my own for figuring this out! Anyone else been in this boat? how did you handle it?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Allison2  My city went through the same issue last year before they decided to cancel the contract with Air BNB.  The contract is between Air BNB and your city.  I agree that unless your city requires you report your total short term rental income, just report the income related to the tax you collected.  You are not identified individually as Air BNB pays a lump sum

I am just passing this info about tax, I think is very useful. 

https://sharedeconomycpa.com/blog/category/airbnb-taxes/HIS INFO THA I THINK IS GOOD.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Allison2 This happened to us too for Q2. If I owed the tax, it went in my calculations. If ABB had the tax, it was like it never happened 

weird, but they didn’t give us much choice