Special Offer

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Special Offer

I am considering creating some special offers during this low occupancy time. Have you tried special offers? Were they helpful or too much hassle?

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
7 Replies 7
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Robin129 I peaked at your calendar and you have a static price of $28. Have you considered playing with the rates to attract a guest to stay two nights? Make it a two day minimum but the middle date is $20? You make $48, not a home run but you’re selling nights and not single nights. When it’s slow, I do that. ‘ You know it’s hard out here for a Host’ Good Luck! 

@Rene-and-Zac0 no need to "peek" it's out there for anyone to peruse. 😉 

I do tweak my rates. I'm in a tough location, geographically. I'm not near touristy spots, I am closer to the Interstate and get a lot of folks traveling buy needing a spot to rest. I am okay with that. 

I want to reach out to past guests to try and attract them back. I have offered weekend specials around some big events, but no takers so far. I did one that covered three nights around some autumn festivals "come in on Thursday, got to X festival Friday, Y Day on Saturday, late check-out Sunday" offering a small carry-in meal Thursday, regular breakfast Friday, and a breakfast-to-go Saturday. I will try it again, I just have to work out which event to focus on.

I have a page on the face book, I have a twitter account, and a very small email list I am trying to grow. I have a lot of "tools" but I'm still working out which are the best.

All suggestions welcome!

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

How do special offers work?

I know a host can send a special offer to a prospective guest that sends an inquiry,

but is there a way to set up a special offer that anyone can take advantage of?

And if so, how do guests find them?

You can send special offers to past guests as well.

To open up to non-Airbnb you have to use either a third party online travel agency (OTA) or have a reservation software program. I'm not sure what we are allowed to link to here, but there are some really basic free reservation programs out there. I'm just learning to use one. I'm trying to encourage guests to sign-up for an electronic newsletter so I can keep them up on events in the area, special offers, and any other types of revenue streams I may come up with. 

I am also restricted by just having the one room to share. 

@Robin129, being able to send special offers to past guests is very cool.

I see that by reaching out to past guests you are really working on building your business!

Establishing a group of (hopefully) regular customers is a whole area of this industry I had not even thought about.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Something I've spent most of this evening on is searching out local events for the next six weeks. Knowing the weather will complicate travel, I am focusing on a radius of about 20 miles. For people in large urban areas you may not need to do this. For me, I am in a small semi-rural area. My capitol city is 15 miles/minutes from my home. That city, Charleston (WV) has less than 50k residents. 

I looked up my state fairs and festivals website. Charleston has a website of local events, but I want to grab a few venues outside as well. Anyway, I am scrolling through the events, copying and pasting critical information into a blank document. I will compare the dates with the open dates on my Airbnb listing calendar. (I cherish time with family and block time off for them.) 

I will try to plan a package or two around one or more events. I'll do the math for the cost of breakfast items, maybe a carry-in meal, regular room costs, and calculate my break-even. I'll set the nightly rate at a "special" rate and notify past guests of the special. 

My listing will never comand the kind of money many of you can get. I also don't want to have guests every night of the week. I can create other streams of revenue to help. So far I've only created two multi-night packages, ever. I will continue to work that angle through the low season and see what happens.

@Robin129, to me that's sounds exactly like what the original dream of the bed and breakfast inn is supposed to be.

I sincerely hope you find success with these packages.