The gall of this new host

The gall of this new host

A new host popped up in my neighborhood.  I keep track of these things.  It was especially grand to see that he STOLE my listing details, my listing name, and much of the carefully crafted things I said about my neighborhood and area.  So I wrote him and told him it wasn't cool. He basically said that I could pound salt.  I reported him for using the photos from the Real Estate Agency instead of his own and he took his listing down for a minute.  It looked like Airbnb had taken care of me.  Now it's back up.  Same content and now he's PAINTED HIS FRONT DOOR THE SAME COLOR AS MINE!  So his listing and my listing come up near each other and they look like the same.  He's using our reputation and history to get his own listing launched and there seems to be little we can do about it.  This really does just make me fume.  

Our listing: airbnb.com/rooms/5714427

His listing: airbnb.com/rooms/19515957

Looks like I'm actually going to have to copywrite my content to make him take it down.  Unbelievable.  

31 Replies 31
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Alice-and-Jeff0 this annoys me SO much! Using other listings as inspiration is ok, but plagiarism is not. UNLESS the listing is not a direct competitor, for example, if you want to copy my words... I don't really care because we are not even in the same location. I wonder if there is a way to report this to Airbnb? Also curious what they are going to do about it if you report this. I am sorry that this happens to you. I would be upset if I were you. I guess it is time for me to check what is going on around me now. Is it possible to copywrite the content?

@Farah1 - When I first noticed it, I reported it and wrote to the host directly.  After his initial response that he didn't "steal" anything, he back peddled and said he'd make changes.  I provided him with a link on how to snooze his listing.  Then I wrote to Airbnb.  I was immediately assigned a case manager and about 24 hours later I got a request to provide more information and sign a document that the content was mine and was being misappropriated.  In the meantime, he took down his listing and I assumed he was making changes so I didn't move forward because, as a fellow  host, I trusted him.  WRONG.  

In my initial report, I noted that the photos he had were of the house listing when it was for sale. I provided several links and his pictures were lifted from those exactly.  Perhaps Airbnb shut him down for that alone but did nothing about analyzing the content.  So now his pictures are his, they now include furniture, but none of the verbal content was changed.  One the upside, after reaching out again tonight, I've been assured me they are going to update my case manager because the case is not closed.  

Crossing my fingers and filing my copyright as we speak.  UPDATE: copy submitted

I've reported his listing. Best of luck, @Alice-and-Jeff0.

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Wow!!! This must be sooo annoying for you - and I'm sure you are really fuming. I know I would be!!! There is a clear line between using someone else's descriptions and house rules as *reference* and *borrowing* them to help build and create your own! I looked at maybe 20~30 different listings, all mostly private room listings in a variety of countries and cities because I wanted to get a feel for how other people did it. In the end, I referenced about 3~4 listings that I thought were really well layed out to identify the type of things to include, but I did my own homework to explain my home, what I provide, and the neighborhood, and it was important for me that my descriptions are in MY OWN WORDS - so they sound like me. I seriously don't understand the mentality of people who think free-riding on other people's hard work is okay! 

I hope this is somehow resolved in your favor - please keep us updated on how things proceed.

I had a similar experience at work recently. Some people had been keeping letters/notifications that I've translated for them created a "database (excel file with Korean phrases - (my) English translations)" to use when they had to write e-mails. (I knew some people would look at past e-mails/documents I sent them as reference, but I didn't know it was this elaborate or to what extent they were using (sharing among themselves) my previous work.) I only found out because one guy sent me an email requesting a "review" (proof-reading) not translation. I took a look at it and got goosebumps!!! The entire document sounded eerily LIKE me, but clearly NOT me. I was really upset!!!! But of course most of the people here couldn't understand why I was so upset - and to add to the insult THEY thought the reason I was upset was because I was afraid I would lose my job if they don't need me in 1~2 years time once they have a really good data base. HA!!!!!! (Rolled my eyes like crazy!) 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I've worked on enough group projects in school to know exactly who this guy is. He'd send his section in late with 90% of it plagarized from the textbook. haha

They say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It sucks that he's taken full paragraphs from your listing!

And while he may have tried to copy your front door color, his is more of the popular aqua color (that's almost run its course) while yours is a timeless powder blue 😉

Thank you @Allison2.  The color of our front door is actually called "Drizzle"   I'm almost sure without taking a swatch to his house that it's the same color or pretty darn close but I'm glad mine looks more timeless when paired with the "Beeswax" than his white. 

BTW, I still haven't heard from Airbnb. 

Is Drizzle one of those colors that changes depending on time of day? I never would have picked that color from seeing either of your doors! It read much more turquoise on his, and dust blue on yours.

Anyway, whether he's insecure or lazy, stealing your words to market his place is inauthentic and you definitely get that sense when comparing the parts written in your voice to those he wrote on his own. People can see that.

@Allison2 - My guess is that it's about the picture more since my door sits in the shade. If you look at our back deck picture #8, you can see the ceiling painted.  It's the same color as the front door.  

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

AND he is undercutting you on the one-nighters with the cost that shows up, but making it up (and adding $10) with the cleaning fee. 

AND it's everything right down to the "just nod in our direction". But clearly he has not seen foxes and squirrels yet, or they would be featured as well. 🙂

Oh, @Alice-and-Jeff0, it's no fun. The mindset does exist, though. A few years ago, when working as an editor, I pointed out to an author that much of his Chapter 3 was lifted entirely from Wikipedia. He shot back that things are on the internet for people to use. 

Your listing is on the internet for buddy down the street to use...

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

@Alice-and-Jeff0, I recommend you contact Airbnb at copyright@airbnb.com and terms@airbnb.com.

The host is likely in direct violation of the Terms of Service (§5. Content) and Copyright Policy.

Let me know how this turns out. I'm rooting for you!

@Alice-and-Jeff0 I see the snippets of stolen words, but really see no similarity in the listings. Your listing is polished and personable. His listing: did you see the curtains in the bedroom?? Oh my.

ABB should for sure make him write his own listing. Please let us know what happens.

@Kelly149 - Thank you for the compliment.  When I reached out to the host directly - which I did first before getting Airbnb involved - he also said "it's not like my listing even compares to yours".  

While I can appreciate that my attention to detail is better than his (yup, I saw those "blackout" curtains in the bedroom LOL), what bothers me most is that he's essentially "stealing" my personality from the words in my listing. It sounds like me - not exactly me but pretty close to me - and that's where the rub really is because I have worked, and do work, so hard to cultivate and achieve the 5-star overall and Superhost status that pretending to be "me" is not flattery but impersonation, which is why it bothers me so much.

If this listing were in another state, maybe even a city far enough away from me, I wouldn't care, but he's a few blocks from me, in my same neighborhood - my competition.  So he's using my words, impersonating me, and our listings come up near one another in the search results.  A user might come to the conclusion that we're the same host - because you don't get to see host pictures until after the booking is made!  When he painted his front door the same as mine, I went through the roof (its completely irrational - I'm not ashamed to say I overreacted but luckily only my husband was here to see me!  The house when he bought the house on 8/3/17, it had a red door in case you want to see: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1307-Hill-St-Durham-NC-27707/98185200_zpid/?fullpage=true).  

It just feels bad to me.  It makes me upset to have to even have this conversation about it. It angers me that he told me he'd make changes, took it down, and then didn't.  Overall, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant........

BTW,  I sent them a detailed email on 8/29 and haven't heard anything yet. With all the other things going on, this is hardly a priority so I'm not surprised that I haven't heard back from them.  Will post something when I know something.   

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Thanks for the update

AND I didn't know that our host pics weren't visible until after a booking is made -- so they can't see anything about our profile, other listings, etc unless they've made a booking?? Interesting 

@Kelly149 They can if they spend the time to open our profile 🙂