Weight guidelines for a glamper

Mary-Beth-and-Don0
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

Weight guidelines for a glamper

I have a 1972 glamper camper.  It is almost all original (which is a part of it's charm), but that means parts of it, like the toilet and shower are a bit fragile. This isn't an issue for most people who choose to stay in a tiny, funky place, but it is for folks who are quite large.

I've wracked my brain in how to address this in my listing. And, yes, it must be addressed.  I currently have guests that are way too big and they have broken something.  It would seem to be common sense, but clearly it's not.

What is a good way to do this that is not offensive.  Currently, I state that because of the small nature of the place, it isn't appropriate for xxxl folks.  More accurately, I should say xxl folks.  I've considered posting a weight limit, may 260 pounds. 

There doesn't seem to be a nice way to manage this.  All advice is welcome.

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Mary-Beth-and-Don0 I would state a weight limit. Amusement park rides, jet ski’s, etc all do this. Saying “XXL” or “XXXL” is too vague. 

Thanks,  I think that is exactly what I'm going to do.

OK, so I have added this statement to my listing.  "Regretfully, we have to set a 250-pound weight limit per guest to ensure safety and comfort."  How does that sound?

Good news I would still be able to book!, I would actually go about it the other way and explain that it is a tight fit and not suitable for Plus Sizes, I assume the issue is more volume than weight loading.

I can think of some seriously large horizontally people who would still be under 250lb.

David

Well, part of it is volume, but part of it is actual weight.  Because it is a camper and because it is old, the toilet and shower are at risk at a heavy weight.  I've had really tall people before (up to 6' 7") and they worked out fine.  I have a California king bed.  Plus, people that tall are used to living in a world for shorter people.  It's such a dilemma. I'm using my best friend as a weight guess, so this is no way related to fat-shaming.  She is about 250 and she would probably be the max.  I feel really bad about making an exclusion based on weight.  I have previously referred to it as a size (xxxl) but I'm wondering if that is too ambiguous.  Another consideration is the liability.  If something breaks and they get hurt, if a set weight limit (which if they surpass) is clearly stated, it might be more defensible as a very concrete weight limit vs an ambiguous size.  I don't know.  😞  That's why I'm asking for help.

@Mary-Beth-and-Don0  while the weight restriction does sound reasonable to me given the circumstances (obviously you're not intending to discriminate against larger folks), you might need to verify that posting such a comment doesn't expose you to any legal risk with respect to local accessibility or discrimination laws. Airbnb still occupies a legal gray area when it comes to the question of whether a listing is subject to the same laws as a public accommodation, or housing, or both. But just to avoid attracting any unwanted legal attention, you want to avoid making any statements in your listing that could be interpreted as discrimination.

Another way to put it is to say something like "the toilet shower facility can only accommodate up to 250 lbs at a time." This wording makes the restriction about the weight and not the individual, as it also means that two people of average weight can not use the shower at the same time. 

You do still reserve the right to make a deposit claim in the event of damage to the property; in fact, it's probably less risky to do this than to give the appearance of declining someone on the basis of their body type. Airbnb has deleted profiles of hosts who were publicly accused of discrimination over other factors (race, sexual orientation, gender identity) and while I don't know if this has happened yet as a result of weight or disability, you wouldn't want to be a test case.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I would write something like : »the floorboards (or the axes) of the camper support up to xx lbs of weight per square foot. However, the shower and toilet support only 240 lbs. if more weight is placed upon them, breakage will occur and you will incur high repair costs. If you are in doubt, if you may use the facilites comfortably, please discuss the matter with us, so we may find a solution.» 

after all, they may decide to go unwashed or swim in the lake, take cold showers with a garden hose and pay rent for a portable toilet cabin. 😉     (Include a safety margin for the weight. They may take a shower after dinner)

and set a hefty sum as an estimate for plumbers’ hours in the house rules or lease.