April 2017 Host Newsletter

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

April 2017 Host Newsletter

Hello everyone,

Another month has flown by, so I am now pleased to share with you the April 2017 Newsletter.

Highlights this month include:

• A fantastic blog article which includes 10 tips for long-term hosting, created by fellow community member Teresa (@Florian-and-Theresa0) from German speaking Community Center

**If you would like to join in the discussion we are having here in the CC and share your tips for long-term hosting, take a look here. 🙂 

• Hear from two Airbnb engineers, Deepank and Kidai around insights on how to boost your hosting success
  • Help Travellers find your listing, by updating your listing with new, specific labels

I hope you enjoy this month's edition, if you have any thoughts or comments please do share them here. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

8 Replies 8
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Thanks for the new newsletter - always interesting, but also a bit disappointing:

1.) I was particularly looking forward to reading about the insights by the two Airbnb engineers on how to boost our hosting. But it really didn't tell me much of anything, ultimately in my case it always goes back to setting lower prices, which is the only thing I see regularly on my listing as their recommendation. With all due respect, I can think of that on my own.

2.) As to the updating one's listing with new, more specific labels maybe a good idea, but the implementation of it already caused problems:

a.) the link provided in the newsletter to update one's listing ( with the newer labels)  didn't work for me, neither on mobile, nor on desktop, and I am signed in: it comes back as " error - you do not have permission to access this resource."

b.) I had actually just noticed the "more specific labels"  on my own this morning on my  listing before getting to the newsletter here:

I  suddenly saw my place listed as "Entire House" - which it isn't! Where did that come from, I wondered? It used to  be named something like entire house/apartment which I was comfortable with, as it is the entire apartment on the first level of my house. : yes, "Entire House"  may be more specific, but it's also wrong! So I sure wish Airbnb wouldn't get into one's listing and change things for the worse, not better!

c.) Makes me also wonder how many hosts are as diligent and fast regarding changes as I am, as it took me a while to get into my listing to find the right place to change it so that now it says "entire guest suite" - which I'm fine with. Not happy that Airbnb took it upon themselves to wrongly classify my place as "entire house" instead of "entire guest suite". They need to be more diligent and accurate in making their changes!. Luckily I could change it  before any guest might possibly say I had misrepresented my space. But what about other hosts whose listings might  now get mis-classified, and they are not aware of it?

The links are not working for me either, @Annette33: You do not have access to this. Even though I got an email forwarding me to change my amenities...

Mariann 🙂

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

And I still don't get the newsletter to my email, @Lizzie

Mariann 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Annette33 and @Mariann4

This is really useful feedback and I have sent it over to the Newsletter Team who work on this. 

I have also asked about the link, so as soon as I hear more about this I will let you know. 🙂

Speak to you soon.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello again @Annette33 and @Mariann4,

I have some updates for you. 🙂

In regards to the link, as this link is unique to your account, it is not possible to include it in the version I have shared here in the CC with you. The way you would get this is through the actual Host Newsletter email you received. 

Mariann, I acknowledge this isn't very helpful to you as you say you haven't received yours, however here is the information on how to access it yourself:

1. On the listing, click "Manage Listing"

2. Go to the Basics Section

3.  Scroll down to the section titled Listing. This section has been improved and updated.

Secondly Mariann, in terms of receiving the Host Newsletter email, would you mind checking in your Airbnb 'Account Settings', then scroll down to 'Email Settings', you should see a box called 'General and Promotional Emails'. To receive this email, you will need to have this ticked. Please can you let me know if you have this ticked already? 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you @Lizzie.

Checking this box is what I asked about last month or so 🙂 But I won't do it. I actually believe it is in breach with Norwegian advertising laws to list it the way you do. If you can get tech to list it as two boxes, information such as newsletters as one box and promotion/advertising in the other box, then I can check the box for receiving information. My email is spammed enough as it is...

As for the new amenities I have found it on my personal page and checked two more boxes. That is what I had to offer 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply @Mariann4. Aw I am sorry if I forgot this and you are repeating yourself!

In this case, as you can see I post the information here in the CC every month, I will try and include as much information as possible in these so you have all the information to hand and don't miss out on anything. 🙂

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

John850
Level 2
Mornington, Australia

Hi everyone.

A unrelated issue.

Relatively new on Airbnb (18months) with 2 properties in Port Douglas Queensland Australia.

Now that Airbnb has become my main source of bookings at just 10% 18 months ago to 80% now. I must agree Airbnb and the community must be doing something right

However the problem I am finding, is selecting and defining minimum stay lengths from month to month.

The settings seem quite inflexible.

Airbnb regularly send messages that guests in my area are looking for 3 night stays which I miss out on as the properties only have 5 night minimum setting.

I would be happy to select 3 minimum night stayz on certain months but this dose not work for me every month, I could use 3 night bookings for gap filling only.

I realize I can add"extra requirements" but this is not working with instant bookings.

example;

If I select a minimum stay of 3 nights then add in "extra requirements" 3 nights stay only in the month of July, the guests are still able to do an instant 3 night booking for say August in which I may only allow, or want, minimum booking of 5 nights?

I need, as I am sure many others do, more flexibility in booking lengths.

Cheers John