A modest proposal re: profile pictures

A modest proposal re: profile pictures

Actually a sincere proposal 😄

Airbnb,

Some hosts are worried that Airbnb may no longer require profile pictures, partially (or totally) in an attempt to reduce discrimination against guests. And a long running issue with some hosts has been guests whose profile picture is not of the guest themselves. Would this be a possible solution:

Do not show a profile picture, or any picture, before booking, but require a guest (or at least a Verified ID guest) to provide a picture for AFTER booking. This picture could come from the ID in the case of a verified ID guest. 

This solves the issue of a host declining a guest based on looks (because they are black, for example) but still provides the host with a picture of the guest for the host's security and sense of well-being. Some hosts, understandably, want to know what the person showing up will look like, if for no other reason than to verify it is that person. And of course this is usefull if picking someone up at the airport, etc...

It seems like this would actually help Airbnb in tracking hosts who do discriminate inappropriately. After all, if you have a host who is accepting guests repeatedly, and then canceling after seeing the photo of the person, one could start to make reasonable assumptions about what is going on.

12 Comments
Julia1
Level 8

If a host cancels they get penalised so more thought is needed.  

Bambi0
Level 2

Is your picture of yourself, or your child?

Judith44
Level 2

It is very important for me to see a photo of the guest. I host in a rural area and live alone, am in my 70,s. It would mean no more hosting for me!

Ken34
Level 4

I don't care if a guest is black, white, brown, yellow, or pink with purple polkadots.  But I DO need to see what they look like before I approve them.    I don't want a picture of a cartoon kitty or some sweet young thing, and then Jack the Ripper shows up at the door.  I think part of the Verification process should require guests to provide two or more forms of photo ID, with matching photos.

Charlene13
Level 2

I agree with Judith and Ken.  Need a way to make sure the person you agreed to host is the person who showed up!  I am not so confident on the AirBnB "verification" process to take about photo's.  

Steve2
Level 2

Pictures are very important
1. What if there is no picture and someone actually other then the person making the reservation shows up?
This does happen since some people will have a family member make a reservation for them and then told me once they showed up

2. Is there really that many idiots out there that discriminate? How will we ever find out who they are? If I were of another race other then white and I was excepted by a host who could not see my picture, and he didnt like my background. It would show through his attitude or something else once I arrive anyway. I wouldnt want that

Now I dont have a solution for the issue but fell that we still need pictures

Steve

Kelly87
Level 8

@Ken34 @Charlene13 @Steve2 Et Al:

You would get the picture, and I propose a verified ID photo, AFTER the booking.

So that should cover concerns about identifying the person. The idea is to BOTH provide a verified ID photo to the host (Airbnb does not do this now) AND to adjust the system due to Airbnb's concerns over discrimination based on the profile photo.

I am offering this as an ALTERNATIVE to other proposals, some of which are to just eliminate profile pictures, period.

Steve2
Level 2

I like your idea
I was basically being general with my comments and some of the issues that others are suggesting

Good idea

Helen56
Level 10

I would like to see a profile picture while I am still at the conversation stage of the booking; it makes the process more friendly and transparent.  It is easier to talk/message someone when you can see them.  

Also I only rent my spare room to women, and with some names I can't tell if it is a man or a woman, so a photo helps.  I don't care what colour they are, I just only want to accommodate women.  Sometimes the picture doesn't help and I have to type the name into facebook to see what gender that name is.

Photos help to build a relationship, which is one of the core policies of Airbnb.  

Also, surely the guests want to see the host's picture too.  Will they remove all photos?  If the guest can see us, then we should be able to see them, especially if it is a private room in our own home.

Todd-and-Reese0
Level 10

I absolutely need to see a photo of the guest(s). I have declined folks with cartoons as their avatars and told them why. There are usually other red flags when they don't have a profile photo. It helps keep folks honest.