Access to Potential Guest Review History

Access to Potential Guest Review History

Since guest and host reviews are made public, is there any reason why hosts cannot see/access a potential guest's review history? We can see the guest's recommendations by other hosts but not the reviews they gave to other hosts. This is very important information to see because the way the system is currently designed, hosts have fewer categories of judging the guests so their reviews are skewed to be more favorable toward a guest. However, as most guests also know, we give an "okay" review to a guest only to find that the guest delivers a scathing review on their end. In short, the "recommended" guests may actually be bad guests that slip through the cracks. What would be the reason for not allowing hosts to have access to public review information?

9 Comments
Kelly149
Level 10

@Olivira0 there are some workarounds (a Chrome extension specifically) but yes, why not show us how a guest has spoken of their hosts in the past

Larisa4
Level 9

It used to be that way not too long ago. As a host I did find it useful, but only by relief that they take the time to review and they could be pleased.

Airbnb probably changed to masking guest reviews so that guests would not get penalized in future bookings simply because they rated a bad stay honestly.

Christine1
Level 10

Actually you can see the comments made by a guest towards hosts if you track back through their profile. I have occasionally done this as part of a background check  on a guest. The current system is sufficient for my needs and interests. I am unconcerned about the star rating given by a particular guest to individual hosts. I don't  feel I need that level of detail. 

Regards Christine 

Stephanie365
Level 10

Actually, I would like to see the star ratings guests give. If you see a guest consistently gives 3* or below for any particular category or as an overall score, it means they are the kinds of guests that you cannot please no matter what you do. I'd rather not have to deal with someone like that.

Louise231
Level 10

@Olivira0@Stephanie365@Christine1@Larisa4@Kelly149

You can already do this. As long as the previous host left them a review.

When you click their profile you see the places they have stayed and the reviews hosts left them right? 

For example your guest is called 'Angela' and on her profile she has a review from 'Bob' saying she was 'ok, clean welcome back' (or whatever)

You click on Bob's profile you can see his listings... you check which she stayed at and click it.

On 'Bob's' listing you can serch his review's there's a little box at the top of the reviews, so type in 'Angela' in the box, and her review will pop up.

If the review was fairly recent since one of the updates, then the star rating she gave will be visable as well.

It really doesnt take long, a few clicks, type (or copy and paste) her name in the search box.

Persumably the seacrh box is to look for reviews and guest feedback on keywords like 'location' but it works fine for this too.

Christine1
Level 10

Thanks @Louise231.

You're correct. 

I regularly use this method to look through potential guest's review history. 

It's always worked that way. Your explanation with be handy to other readers.

So thats good. 

Regards Christine 

Larisa4
Level 9

Olivira is talking about the reviews that guests leave hosts in their previous stays -- which used to be available but is no longer.

"We can see the guest's recommendations by other hosts but not the reviews they gave to other hosts. "

Louise231
Level 10

Yes @Larisa4 that's what I'm talking about, looking at what the guest wrote about the host, and the star level.

ir doesn't show all the sub-category star levels, but yeah, otherwise that's excatly what I'm showing you how to do

Larisa4
Level 9

Sorry -- I didn't read the rest of your comment carefully. That is a lot of steps to go through, especially if the host has more than one property. And then you may still not find a review by the guest.

It used to be as simple as two tabs: "Reviews By" and "Reviews by Hosts" under a person's profile.