Address the Guest's default hometown "Lindenwold, NJ"

Address the Guest's default hometown "Lindenwold, NJ"

Hosts receiving inquiries and bookings from Airbnb Newbies are seeing multiple guest's hometowns as "Lindenwold, NJ." This seems to be a new phenomenon, probably an artifact of an update.

original (2)

After opening a ticket w/ ABB Superhost support, I was told that it is a default setting that has to be changed by the guest. The advice was for me to remind them to do it. Now, it is optional, and if they don't do this, it still shows up under their name and profile pic even after they book, which is confusing.

I think that's backward. Hosts should not have to add to their instructions to Guests — especially Newbies — a reminder to do something they should be required to do.

Instead, Airbnb, please fix this so that everyone must enter their hometown before making an inquiry or booking request.

Patti

Response from Airbnb

Thank you for alerting the Airbnb team to this bug in our system. We fixed the underlying problem on August 9 and corrected the hometown location on affected guest profiles on August 16. The issue was being caused by a quirk in our system that automatically added a hometown location if the guest didn’t provide one. We’ve switched to a more reliable way of getting that information, so you shouldn’t be seeing this problem anymore. However, if you do, please let us know!

22 Comments
Patti4
Level 8

I just got another "Lindenwold" request. It is always a new person never used Airbnb before, just signed up, no reviews, no history. I asked them directly where they were from explaining that there was a default setting that I was sure "Lindenwold" was not their hometown. They happily provided their location, but I have to trust that they're being truthful.

It should not be the host responsibility to ask someone where they live. It completely contradicts Airbnb's stated philosophy of trust and verification.

I have been complaining about this issue for a couple of months now. No progress.

Airbnb should fix this. What's the problem?

Patti

Adam1
Level 2
Status changed to: Archived

Patti4
Level 8

Why was this conversation archived by an airbnb administrator (Adam)? No explanation posted?

Adena0
Level 1

We're switching to Home Away if Airbnb doesn't care enough to fix this simple coding change. Ridiculous!

Denying all future "guests" from Lindenwold and New Jersey till then.

Maryl0
Level 1

I noticed this, too, getting 3 bookings w/ the home as Lindenwold, NJ.  I was thinking there might be a chemical leak and everyone is fleeing that town...I agree this needs to be resolved as I looked pretty dumb asking my guest "how was your trip from NJ?" when she just lived one town over from my place and was here for a concert.

Heather241
Level 1

Same problem except multiple new users from Bristow, OK?  I hate to pass on bookings but this seems like a red flag to me.  Money lost for the host and Airbnb unfortunately.

Marissa4
Level 2

I have had this problem again several times recently- A guest from PA, but listed from Waynesville, Missouri, another from Michegan but listed from Conway, Missouri. It is really frustrating to communicate efficiently about travel plans without knowing for sure where people are coming from.

Please fix this.

Catherine526
Level 1

I have three people staying this week from Lindenwold, NJ.  I'm sure they are not from NJ.  Airbnb, seems pretty simple to make people name their hometown!

Lila-And-Shawn0
Level 2

This is a programming problem!! Airbnb has so few programming problems that this one does not even bother me.

I would like it fixed but not really a big deal. 

Tom237
Level 1

I need to add to the comments - most of my bookings have come from ABB first-timers and most of them had inaccurate location information.  Conway Missouri, Bristow Oklahoma, Miami Oklahoma, Santa Monica California are a few of of them.  When I communicate with guests, it's nice to know if they are coming from a few hours away or from across the country!  I did not see any ABB response to this discussion, so I'll need to continue to quiz everyone until this problem is corrected.  While I'm on the subject - it would be extremely helpful if ABB required guests to provide the mobile phone number with the reservation.  It's impossible to tell these days, but if the guests are on the road a home phone number isn't at all helpful.