AirBnB for individuals not for companies

Status changed to: Not In Plan

AirBnB started as a sharing service between individuals. Guests are looking for a new and personal experience in someones home. Host wants the best experience for people in their homes. 

Now I see more and more commercial companies using AirBnB to rent homes. Some of these companies are renting up to 100 different homes. This is no sharing anymore,what's the difference with an ordinary hotel. These homes are only used for renting the whole year and making as much profit as possible. This made cities like Berlin, Barcelona and Paris to change the rules and make it almost impossible to use AirBnB as an individual. 

So I would like to ask AirBnB to go back where it all started. Share your own home, or a room in your own home.  And make it impossible for commercial companies with large amounts of apartments to profit from AirBnB. They are damaging the good intentions of a lot of hosts. 

Reponse from Airbnb

We really appreciate the fact that the Airbnb host community cares about the mission and future of Airbnb. Last year, hosts asked the founders a similar question during Q&A at Open. You can watch the full video in the Community Center.

Our mission is to create a world where everyone belongs. For that to happen, we will always work with our community of hosts to create a more inclusive product that helps people find a place to feel connected, respected, and a part of a community again.

This is the main reason why our product is constantly expanding. At the beginning, Airbnb was only a platform for air mattresses. And it slowly transitioned to rooms and later to entire homes. Now, we’re growing from homes to global experiences that change the way people travel.

That doesn’t mean that we care any less about our individual hosts. On the contrary, we are constantly thinking about new ways to empower our hosts. Last year, we launched co-hosting and experience hosting to provide product solutions that expand our hosts’ economic opportunities beyond their private homes.

Empowering our hosts allows our community to support travelers all over the world despite the wide variety of hosting patterns and different regulations that govern home sharing in regions throughout the world. We remain committed to working with housing-constrained cities to ensure our platform is not impacting housing supply.

Additionally, we’ll continue to work closely with our hosts in such efforts like Host Voice to ensure that they feel that they have a space to establish an open dialogue and that they see us as partners in defining the future of home sharing.

Comments
Ruth18 in
Mississauga, Canada
Level 1

I totally agree. Airbnb, do you hear us? Companies might be lining your pockets but we are your bread and butter. Airbnb is gaining a very bad reputation by allowing companies to use the service. It ruins everything. 

Mira11 in
Hilton Head Island, SC
Level 2

AMEN to all the comments! I hope Airbnb recognizes the spin with corporate/ company involvement is not a plus and dillutes the essence of what made airbnb so special.

Merrill0 in
Oakland, CA
Level 3

My biggest concern is that investment hosts (who buy houses and then rent them out short term) are taking properties off the market for long-term renters who are then left without housing! I'm sure airbnb never wanted this to happen when they inflated those mattresses back in the 'old' days.I know that many cities are opposed to airbnb for the same reasons--separate the two businesses and give people the choice. Investment hosts have different concerns and responsibilities that could be directed to them specifically. Personal hosts -- ditto.

As a guest, my only bad airbnb experiences were in places where the hosts were absent and the room was rented in absentia.

Donna88 in
Hyattsville, MD
Level 2

I aagree. There eare hotels in my area that are listing on this site and not saying they are a hotel. I have had guests that say they booked them thinking they were a room in a house. There should be a difference between corporate and private.

Stephan2 in
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Level 10

Wow, thanks for all the support :-). I really hope AirBnB will do something with this signal. Just placed it at my LinkedIn too, maybe the three founders will read and do something with our responses. 

www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6169207605827747840

Erin65 in
Boulder, CO
Level 2

My gripe with Airbnb is the hotel like pressure they pu ton individual owners looking to let out a place.  I got a 4 star rating for overall experience, while all the metrics were 5 stars.  Every time I logged in I got a warnign symbol telling me that I had a low rating.  

Low rating is like 3 or below, not a 4.  This is how hotel chains operate and it is extremely demotivating after you put your heart and soul into your listing to see a yellow warnign symbol because a guest doesn't understand that anything less than perfect is not good enough.

Also along this subject is the fact that if Airbnb expects me to provide hotel like service then don't quote me a hostel level price for my unit. ANY hotel room here is $150 or more and they don't include breakfast.  To tell me my room is only worth $30 is an insult and refusal to acknowledge that it takes time and money.

Diana103 in
Oceanside, CA
Level 6

I agree!  People that don't realize this is my private home treat my home badly.  Thankfully only once.  But I have a broken window and a day or ruined skiing from a horrible guest.  He asked for a early check in and I had to shovel snow instead of skiing.  Then he showed up late anyway!!!!!!!

Vivienne-Of-Gorman-and-G0 in
Buderim, Australia
Level 1

As a manager who does look after a small number of properties I would like to add that I offer a service to my home owners who do not feel comfortable or do not have the time to be responding to requests.  These people are just like you, and are embracing the shared economy philosophy but for various reasons don't want to do the leg work themselves.  If you work during the day, how can you meet a guest at the house at a time that suits the guest?  If you are away on holidays yourself, who is going to give the guest 24/7 service.  Would it be a well meaning friend - who will most likely not be able to offer the special service that you are talking about as they don't have the knowledge of the home or understanding the needs of guests?  Having a property managed by a manager does not mean that guests receive an inferior service as I personally meet and greet every guest and I personally correspond with every guest before they arrive, am available 24/7 and work every day that a guest arrives or leaves a property or needs assistance during their stay regardless of if it is a weekday or weekend.  Whether I correspond with the guest or the property owner does doesn't change the fact the owners are sharing their home with others.  

Level 10

@Susie0 I agree with the individual thing, but I have two guest rooms in my apartment that I rent when I do not have friends staying, two listings because Airbnb do not allow two rooms unless it listed as the whole apartment, without host. I live here, I am always here. I would not like to find myself in the 20% not included. Better same address, same apartment number.

Stephan2 in
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Level 10

@Ange2 @Vivienne-Of-Gorman-and-G0

I am nog against companies that help me when on holiday or people that have two rooms. But have problems with people/companies that buy one or more apartments to rent it the whole year to tourists. They don't live there themselves anymore, and there is accoriding to me no difference with an ordinary hotel. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: