Airbnb Needs Customer Service Overhaul

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb Needs Customer Service Overhaul

The features this product would have would be:

1) Accountabiltiy with customer service reps and managers, including giving the customer a way to identify with whom they are speaking for the purposes of logging the call for their own records.  When there is no identification of the rep, there is no accountability, which ads to the already exisiting problem of them not being able to help in many other problems that arise, usually around the website.

2) The next feature this product would have would be an attended email address where customers can lodge complaints or problems.  Currently we are at the mercy of the Airbnb rep sending us an email first, which means if they choose not to send you an email, you will never get your issue resolved and again, no accountability for the rep.  NOT FAIR and this is NOT a way to run a business.  This lacsadasical, carelss attitude towards customer service will come back to bite Aribnb in the end because one day soon, a smart, young entrepeneur is going to give Airbnb the competition they so desrve and excel in this area where Airbnb could care less and take a chunk of your business and rightfuly so.

3) Tech support when reps and managers are unable to help. 

4) Ways to escalate problems that are unresolved by reps and managers that just don't give a s---.

8 Replies 8
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I agree, @Liz121! There are many complaints in these pages about the lack of decent customer service. Airbnb reps have hung up on people, promised a call back that ever happens, given wrong advice, and the list goes on. Accountability is really needed.

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

It truly sucks and they deserve to lose business over this ornoging issue they absolutely refuse to address.  There is another site I am ging to post my place on call House Trip.  If Airbnb's bots remove that name as sensitive content please feel free to email me at [personal information hidden] and I will send you the names of other places we can post our apartments.  I;m almost tempted to just boycott Airbnb over this.  If a bunch of hosts started a boycott until they got some REAL customer service and accountabilty maybe it would make a dent - maybe.  Bottom line is the owners may now just be too rish to give a s---.

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Kate or anyone on here, if you can go onto Airbnb's facebook page and twitter, evidently they do care about bad publicity, so if you can og on there and talk about their horrific customer service that might [ossibly help.  I am not vry computer or social media savvy or I w

ould do it myself.

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Liz,

First of all, sorry for your frustrations.  I actually had a situation with a guest yesterday and if you know how to contact Airbnb, they are usually pretty happy to help.  You can get all the contact information in the link in my signature at the bottom of the page.  

Second, you really should not post your email addresses in public like you have here as you really do open yourself up to scams.  

In regards of other sites, Airbnb certainly does not stop you from using other sites like VRBO and the other sites you mentioned and they are not blocked on these forums.  If you wish to voice your concerns, you can provide them here and you would probably get more traction: https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback.  You can also post any tech issues such as bugs.

If you are not happy and wish to move elsewhere, you might be interested in these two help guides which were just yesterday updated:

Delete a Listing

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Delete-a-Listing-Deactivate-A-Community-Help-Guid...

Delete Your Account

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Delete-Your-Airbnb-Account-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/1573...

From my experience, I do assure you that Airbnb does care.  As I said, yesterday I had a guest book the same day and then cancel complaining that he thought my place was a suite.  The rep just took the guests word without checking out my listing and cancelled as a host cancellation.  I responded with an email and a phone call and the case was escalated to the next level.  The higher level case manager then looked at my listing (which the other one should have) and it is clearly marked as a suite several times throughout the listing and in the end, it was changed to a guest cancellation and I just received payment this afternoon.

Airbnb is not for everyone @Liz and I hope you give it some time to evaluate if Airbnb is the right thing for you.  Every platform has its issues including VRBO.  Maybe you should be that entrepreneur and make millions.  Give it a try!!!

All the best!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

I always ask the cs to send  me the email before we end the call and to give me the ticket number as well. For some reason they can't put the ticket number in the email, but they can give me the ticket number and I put it in the return email. Then I have a record of the call. 

If I sense that the CS isn't very competent, I don't do any of that and I hang up and call back until I find someone who gives me a sense of confidence in their ability to address my concerns. Most CS are outstanding, but occasionally the power goes to their head and they are very unhelpful. 

I appreciate that I can call airbnb 24/7 and get an empowered person on the other end, but there are huge inconsistencies in their understanding of procedure, so greater training and clearer policies would go a long way. 

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Tanks for your comment, but what I am talking about goes way beyond mere inconsistencies in their training.  WAY beyond that.

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for your comment but what I;m talking about goes WAY behond mere inconsistencies.  WAY beyond that.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Dave-and-Deb0.

Fan mail:

What a beautiful well thought out and well written reply. 

Best regards Christine