Airbnb blocks potential guests photos/ posted by Trevor but supported by countless hosts

Mari-And-Di0
Level 3
Miami Beach, FL

Airbnb blocks potential guests photos/ posted by Trevor but supported by countless hosts

After noticing that pending guests’ profile pictures have been greyed out for a time, and after several calls and follow up with Airbnb, I have learned that this is not a glitch, but an “experiment” in which 5% of all global hosts have been enrolled to measure discrimination by censoring guests’ profile pictures.  As a Superhost on Airbnb who has been enrolled without permission or notification…I am disappointed and insulted that Airbnb doesn’t trust me to be non-discriminatory…that as a visual person who enjoys to see the way that people of any race, gender, or ethnicity choose to present themselves and the environment that they frame themselves in are now censored …that Airbnb doesn’t allow me to get to know a stranger a little bit before accepting them into my own home… it makes me feel untrusted…judged…guilty until proven innocent…creeped out (for the guest can see me, my property, and profile, while I can’t see back through that one way window).  To use the cliche “a picture speaks a thousand words”, this move, which did not take into account any feedback, permission, or consensus from hosts, really is a step in the wrong direction. Airbnb is about community and trust. To assume discrimination as a default is really insulting to those of us who are inviting diversity into our own homes. 

I have taken the Airbnb pledge to be non-discriminatory, and it is genuine. I enjoy hosting guests of all walks of life, ethnicities, preferences, etc. This should be the default assumption of all hosts until proven otherwise. 

When I myself am a guest on Airbnb, in the unlikely but possible circumstance that a host would be discriminatory against me, I’d prefer that host to have the full, unfiltered version of my profile, pictures and all, so that I could avoid being placed in a position where I would be staying in someone’s home who would be discriminatory. 

Airbnb, please unblock my guests’ profile pictures. They and I do not deserve to be censored! 

9 Replies 9
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Mari-And-Di0, maybe you were enrolled inthe test, because your profile photo shows a diver underwater. Interesting picture, but I doubt, that your guests will recognize you at the door.

Or else, you are in the control group. A test needs a group of people whose behaviour may change and a group to define normality. 

Or they test the worst case outcome on you: if a non-discriminating host suddenly starts filtering out guests of the “anonymous “ lot, the pictures are essential.

Personally, I find them reassuring and may have accepted a few guests with a horrible written contact message, just because they looked harmless enough. Even on IB, the photos are reassuring. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mari-And-Di0

Which the picture you have of yourself, I must confess to thinking your comment lacks conviction and smacks of hypocrisy.

Regards

Cormac

Mari-And-Di0
Level 3
Miami Beach, FL

Dear Helga and Cormac,

Many other hosts who were chosen for this experiment not only have their photos still posted but like us, have hosted guests from all over the world. We removed our most personal photos after it was confirmed that in fact, we can not view photos of potential guests. It took over a month and many inquiries to finally learn why we suddenly could not see photos of potential guests requesting to book a stay with us. We were first told it was a glitch and then a few other reasons but were never told we were part of an experiment. We did not find that out until we read Travor's post. Still, people get to see photos of our home, its belongings and photos that give a general idea of us. Until Airbnb allows hosts to see photos of potential guests, we will not post photos of our faces. 

On another note, we vet carefully and do not rely solely on the 'tools' alotted to us by Airbnb. After each reservation is confirmed, we contact each guest and ask to connect with them off the grid. This allows us to view the photo they post on their alternate social media netowrk. This has helped us on several ocassions when in fact the reservation made was not actually for the person who intended to stay. In the past when a 3rd party reservation was made without informing us, the host, we were surprised when upon check in the id given did not match anything, photo or name on the AIrbnb account used to make the reservation. The 6 times this happened, it turns out the 3rd party guests were lovely but it did start things awkwardly. At the suggestion of an actual Airbnb rep, we were encouraged to use whatever tools we deemed appropriate to avoid these uncomfortable encounters. A long time host suggested that we connect with guests who book, soon after they have reserved the room. This has proven to have a positive impact on both the hosts and guests. In spite of the positive reviews we receive, many guests appreciate being able to get a better feel for hosts as much as hosts appreciate feeling comfortable with a future guest. Upon arrival, guests feel less apprehensive and insecure about where they chose to stay and overall, it has been an excellent way to receive guests. Guests feel  comfortable and as if they know us before arrival and this sets things off to a splendid start. Mind you, we do not book many short term guests and AIrbnb is not our prime source for long term guests that we prefer so calling each perosn who recently reserved a room is probably not a viable option for everyone.

Ultimately, hsots have many different tools and how each one uses them is usually determined on what is best to manage each space as every ost has different requirements and each space unique

I must admit dear Cormac, that since I do not use many social network sites, I totally understand why some people are reluctant to put too much of themselves out there. Some potential guests have expressed reservations about posting much detail about themselves on Airbnb. We do not automatically decline requests if there is not a  profile photo. If the potential guest has many positive reviews and some are for the home stay/share type and guest expresses reservation about posting their photo on yet another network, we will work with them. A photo is not the absolute factor that assures security but it is a helpful tool.

Not once has a person arrived to my home and expressed concern that I was not as described by other guests or the space not as decribed or shown in photos. However, on quite a few occasions, we received 3rd party bookings without prior notice or the person was not as he/she decribed on the profile. With time, hosts learn to better manage their vetting process and tweaks a formula that works for them and their property while offering a safe environment with transparent details about the space.

I hope you find this shared information helpful.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Mari-And-Di0, I was serious about needing a neutral control group for an experiment. 

After reading your explanations, I understand that you need more vetting wigh people staying longtime in your home. I mean, one of my one nighters could kill me in my sleep, but the probability for that is so low, that I would not do all your research. But having a person home for a week or a month, the probability is very high, that you will suffer if they are simply a bit rude or sloppy. 

But your procedure takes time, and that may be the real reason why you , ewere added to the experiment. Before I added IB, I used to get a request

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

... phone cut off, sorry

...I got a request, exchanged quick texts, accepted, sent instructions- all in all 30 minutes to an hour. You can’t match that, if you check their social media accounts. Maybe an ovef average decision time got you selected. 

But that’s speculation only. 

When FB used their members as guinea pigs for Social experiments, it got lots of articles and furious statements. I’m distressed, that airbnb does that now in the same way. I think it’s unacceptable. 

But I do not understand the logic, why you remove your photo, to protest against invisible guest photos. It may also get you different kinds of guests. The only photo I posted on the Internet of myself is on airbnb. Not even my photographer ‘s website has one. The host photo is a powerful sales argument and it influences bookings. I did a few tests with different photos and they attract different guests, especially a very different number of bookings. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mari-And-Di0

Thank you Mari and Di for not taking offence at my post and your considered response.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Mari-And-Di0:  Thank you so much for your eloquent and spot on response.  We are also Superhosts, and have signed the non-discriminatory pledge, and have accepted EVERY single non-white, Guest who has requested booking in our home (and same sex couples), to show Airbnb and all Guests that we are accepting of all people.  And we too were unwittingly put into this "trial".  Although there is NO, zilch, zero, nada, justification to incude us.  I am disappointed in the fellow Guests here who maybe have not been forced into this group of suspicioned Hosts who are being punished for no bad behavior, "as a test."  I think your post was extremely thoughtful, and clearly on point, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I got a small grey circle in the app over the last few requests, after I first posted here. One with a superhost badge still visible - so far for equality. 

But when I click on the circle or on details (don’t remember, I am a frantic clicker),then once again, I see the picture. I may have had that before, but took it for a glitch. Especially as the pictures was always there, just a few click cks away. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

Thank you for mentioning this lack of photo. I have been very confused why some inquires have come through without a photo. I need these photos as I often pick guests up at the airport. Our flights arrive at midnight and 1am. Even a tiny and bad photo gives me a clue who I am looking for.  After they are fully booked their picture suddenly appears. 

Beth