Airbnb policy on referring hosts favours rich areas, excludes poor areas

Airbnb policy on referring hosts favours rich areas, excludes poor areas

Because of the policy of new hosts having a $100 minimum booking, I have referred several hosts but never received a bonus. I live in a city where rents are reasonable therefore I will never receive a bonus for my host referrals. Airbnb policy therefore is discriminatory. The rich hosts get richer while the poor hosts lose out on bonuses. Is this the intention of the company in implementing this policy? Please change your policy to allow hosts who live in poorer areas to enjoy the same benefits as the privileged rich.

Until this policy changes I will no longer refer hosts. Very disappointing to see such a progressive company embedding economic inequality in its policies. I urge you to think of the economic consequences of your policies.

2 Comments
Cathy65
Level 10

Stop referring hosts anyway! Don't you see what they are doing? They are aggressively recruiting way too many hosts so rates are forced down, and they can impose whatever host-harming policies they want because they can afford the defections. 

Barbara655
Level 1
Thanks Cathy good point. Host forum gives a veneer of democracy but it is just the same old 19th century exploitation dressed up as an ' online community'. I have made a lot of money for Airbnb...I wonder where it goes.