Allow Instant Booking to be deactivated for specific days

Christopher155
Level 1
New York, NY

Allow Instant Booking to be deactivated for specific days

The title says it all. 

If we are trying to be great hosts, and, say, allow someone to check in earlier or leave later, or have one big group leaving on the same day another is arriving, or even have indecision about whether we want to let our property for a given day, we should be able to elect to turn off instant book for given days. 

It would be a simple feature to add to the customizable availability settings, when we can select any given date and do things like change the minimum number of nights for that period.  This is too easy and necessary for hosts not to do!!

13 Replies 13
Mark296
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

I don't understand your problem. If you don't want to list your property for a day just block it for that day.  Instant book has nothing to do when a guest leaves or checks in.

Christopher155
Level 1
New York, NY

Yes, you clearly don't understand the problem. 

Arrival or departure are just one of several reasons instant book should be customizable. 

In your scenario, I must lose money, by not allowing a day to be booked altogether, when what I am asking is that I be able to deactivate instant book for certain days, thus necessitating that a guest must first get my approval -- and if necessary, be notified of certain changes which may affect their arrival (or not) -- before being allowed to instantly book...but  I CAN STILL RENT THE PROPERTY.

For a property where I book 26 nights a month, I'd say, on average, this allowance would apply to 4-5. You're asking me to forgo income on those nights by making them unavailable altogether, rather than simply requiring that a little communication take place to ensure that both the hosts and guests have the best experience.

As it is on Airbnb now, it's all or nothing...which means that both Airbnb and I lose money, which isn't just bad business. It's stupid.

When you have plans for an event, this would be a perfect reason to turn Instant book off.  Imagine a major event that you have to attend, a wedding, birthday, concert, awards banquet, etc., and there are constraints as the host to be able to offer check in during the normal time - not completely, but limited.  Personally, talking to the guest about it before they book could save a lot of headaches.  The way it is now, you wait for the person to IB and then hope they want to arrive during a time that fits.  

Example, we're going on vacation (we don't rent when we are out of the house).  We want to leave by 11am to get to the airport.  Normally, check out is at 12pm.  I would REALLY like to turn IB off for the night before because I want to be able to say to a guest, in advance, that on that day, we need them to be out by 10:30 and if that doesn't work, we should help them book elsewhere.  There's no reason to block the night before off, but we want to be transparent in our specific needs for that day.  

Sharona-and-Gabi0
Level 3
Rehovot, Israel

I'm a new host and was looking for that option. It was disappointing to learn that it is not available (yet). I totally agree it could have made us better hosts with easier communication with our guests. 

Kevin-And-Pat0
Level 3
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I agree Christopher, that would be a good option.I dont mind turning iB off. I have like 40 reviews so even if i am placed as the last on the search. Guests will find me.

Christopher155
Level 1
New York, NY

Yes, Kevin. And since I wrote that comment as a relatively new host a couple of months ago, my listing also now has 40 reviews, and I've come to find another, very helpful application of making IB variable. 

Our listing is in area that, a couple of times a year, is a kind of national party destination. I would love to be able to turn off Intant Booking during just those times when I know the odds of getting a group of young, irresponsible partiers is elevated. In other words, there ARE, in fact, dates when I'd like to screen my guests just for the sake of protecting my property and sanity -- while not turning it off for normal circumstances when I am happy to welcome whomever reserves.  

Janet52
Level 2
Leawood, KS

Any news on how can I change listings Instant book

Instant Book off for 23 days Only

Instant Book off for 2nd listing for 10 days Only

Alkis0
Level 2
Thessaloniki, Greece

Hello to everyone, i would like also to make a suggestion on the calendar. I post this to instant booking partial deactivation as it is a part of the whole idea, but this has already been requested by Christopher. I would like to be able to isolate a specific date from the possibility that a guest will  check in on the  specific date, but without blocking the date in the calendar as it may be  part from many available dates.

That is not the same as deactivating the IB (even if that could be enough) it just needs an option in the dashboard/calendar of the kind “ no incoming reservations on this date”

For instance a guest will be able to check in the previous day and stay in the listing the blocked day but he/she will be able to make the reservation because the specific date will be available on the calendar, which otherwise  couldn't do because that day would be blocked.    The reason behind this is  the possibility that i may not be available for exchange keys on a specific date as i have and other listings in Airbnb and i have to keep a priority in between them. I believe that way hosts with multiple listings will avoid stress and confusion on overlapping reservations when it happens in more than one property (or more than they can handle) on a specific date.

Thank you

Amanda185
Level 2
Arrecife, Spain

Hello, I would like to be able to exclude instant booking for certain periods, perhaps be able to mark excluded dates on the listing calendar. 

Instant booking is fine for most of the year. However there are times during in the year I would be more comfortable with having contact with the guests before they book.

Thank you.

Jason180
Level 2
Elizabeth, NJ

Yes, great idea. I'd say this would be helpful at least a handful of days per month for me as well. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I think it is an excellent idea to be able to add that option for IB

Richard-and-Emily0
Level 2
Washington, DC

I agree that this should be an option! AirBNB is smart enough to figure out the algorithms to incentivize owners to keep their listings on IB for as many days as possible without mandating it be on all the time.

In our case, we have guests for a brand new listing and they want to extend their stay, but can't pay for the full amount until next week.  I'd like to still take inquiries/requests for those dates in case our current guests change their minds.  But I'd like to offer my guests the courtesy of taking it off IB for just the dates they're interested in.

Alkis0
Level 2
Thessaloniki, Greece

I think they just don't want to do it considering that it happens anyway. When we pre approve a reservation we  have the option to deactivate it by not allowing other guests to book the property. The question is why someone doesn't explain to us why they keep it that way and they leave us posting comments.