Better host protection after guests breaking house rule SMOKING

Better host protection after guests breaking house rule SMOKING

I'm not talking about one or two cigarettes, but of the guests leaving the place reeking of smoke.

Too many posts in CC are about this and the extra work they had getting the stink out before new guests.

Airbnb does not have hosts' backs by not taking a portion out of the security deposit. 

Why? Smoking in a non smoking hotel room is punished by a hefty fine. Why do hosts get the  slap on the wrist?!  

There needs to be a better solution for this.

Response from Airbnb

Thank you for elaborating on the issues hosts face when dealing with smoke damage. We are just getting started on an initiative to identify how we can better support hosts that file claims for damage or for an inability to host that is not covered by the extenuating circumstance. There will be particular focus given to the claims process for damage that cannot be documented easily, like cigarette smells.

22 Comments
Cynthia178
Level 2

I agree with hosts, this needs to be resolved. I get mostly South Koreans stay at our guest house and their excuse is that they don't speak English well enough to understand the House Rules. Most will not even take a look at our Descriptions, they just book. So, when we smelled the smoke from the guest house bathroom after the guest left, and mind you I charged them for extra cleaning, etc.. Sometimes its not enough.

I made sure that when another South Korean guests book or thinks of booking, my first response after the greeting is, "Please make sure to read our guest house description carefully. This is a NO - Smoking guest house." Then, I was able to get some Korean friends to get us "No - Smoking" signs in Korean, and we've put them in the guest house.

This helped a lot. But, doesn't resolve the issue. More needs to be done.

Dawn171
Level 3

I agree Air bnb needs to set stricter standards on guests it just seems like guests are allowed to break house rules in all different ways and then threaten to leave a bad review .

air bnb needs to set rules in place that if s guest breaks a house rule or brings additional guests more than they reserved for or more than the home accommodates that the guest is nit allowed to book or utilize air bnb for a period of time or allowed to leave a bad review if they break the rules they should be penalized but no just the Host is currently penalized by getting a bad review or by having to spend money to right whatever the guest did to break the house rules