Bring Back Customer Service for Hosts

Bring Back Customer Service for Hosts

I have been a host for over 5 years and in 2017 customer service has gone so far down hill that I have to reconsider my association with the platform.   Literally every customer service request that I have made this year has been bungled at best and met with hostile and inappropriate communication from CS managers at worst (it was shocking!).   This is occuring at a time when platforms to support customer and host success (Zendesk, Gainsight) have never been better at automating an exceptional CS experience.   Hire a new lead to spin up a host / customer success program.   If funding is a barriar, shut down the failed and confusing experiences division.  Lack of attention to CS is going to tank AirBnB and we deserve better.   Long gone are the days of AirBnB hosting local dinners for hosts and I really miss both feeling like a part of a cool community (at best) and even basic customer service no longer seems to be a focus. 

I want to see you succeed!   Please do better by your community. 

10 Comments
Momi0
Level 10

@Kat59   I just saw your most recent post and I have to say, I am having the complete opposite experience you are writing about.

I have been a host since July 2015, a Superhost since Oct 2015, and kept my Superhost status since then.  I know that Superhost get a dedicated line but trust me when I say this, I have had the most incredible experience from their customer service staff.  Its actually one of the best and believe you me when I say this, after dealing and working with over 300 companies in my business as a Concierge, Travel Agency Owner, and lawyer.  

I am not sure exactly what is so bad on your end, but let me give you an example of terrible customer service, and that's with UBER and LYFT just to name a few.  They dont' allow customers to call them.  They only send and receive emails and barely address the concerns when you write them.  I have rated them D- on their customer service with every survey I have gotten.  Have they improved in 3 years!!??  ABSOLUTELY NOT.

At least ABB has added the new CALL BACK feature so you no longer have to be on hold listening to the same music for 68 mins like I use to do in 2015.  My Call Backs have worked in 2-3 mins!! 

Hosting has brought numerous people INTO MY HOME from 47 countries, lots of USA cities, and there have been a handful of terrible guests who needed to be removed from my home.  And AIRBNB handled it quite well.  One guests was permantly banned from ABB and I was called by ABB to make sure I was ok.  They even offered to put me up on a hotel when I was too scared to stay in my home alone. 

Are they perfect?  Of course not.  No one is.  Do they have employees who say things that aren't true!  100% yes, happened yesterday to me.  And how did I handle it?  I emailed my Community Regional Manager to tell him what happened and how they need to coach that employee to be more proactive and less argumentative.   That email was received and I was well taken care of within 24 hours. 

But I truly believe they have hired some of the best people I have had encountered over the phone and can't wait to host quite of few of them in my home after being so well taken care of by them over the phone.  So many care, so many have followed up with me via email and some have even called me to ensure that I have gotten the resolve I was looking for.  I LOVE AIRBNB and cheer them on for having the best customer service staff quite often on my social media. 

Would love to hear more about your situation and why you feel this way.  Do you know how to check your DM account via the CC?  I can send a private message with my phone number if you are interested.  

There have been hundreds of hosts who have reached out to me from places like Peru, New Zealand, Australia, Columbia, Holland, Canada, Minnesota, needing guidance on a serious issue because they knew I could get through to Airbnb and now they know how to do it themselves. (these hosts find me from social media).

A bit bummed to read your message but I hope perhaps I can shed some light on how can we move forward to have you feel more supported as a host.

I can count on Airbnb every day as a Hawaii host.  Or I wouldn't be hosting IN MY HOME!!! Bet on that.   🙂

Bryan77
Level 1

Hi everyone my name is Bryan. I just wanted to comment on both Kat and Momi's posts. I have experienced both sides of the spectrum as it pertains to airbnb customer service. I have been a superhost for about 2 years now and really enjoy doing it. I actually met my wife from airbnb. She was one of the first guests that I hosted and she has never left lol.

In regards to the customer service I have noticed extended wait times the last year or so. Before when I called in a customer service representative would pick up right away. Recently I have had to wait anywhere from 5-15 mins to get a live person on the phone. I found it extremely frustrating while traveling to Paris and my flight was delayed and I needed to speak with someone about my booking and wasn't able to get anyone in a timely manner.

I have also had many great customer service experiences however the majority of them haven't happened as of late.

I had a guest recently with no reviews make a false claim about my place in order to get out of her reservation early. I was on vacation at the time the guest was booked for a month. Air bnb sent me an email in regards to the situation. I tried calling and left a message for the case manager to call me back regarding my guest request for early leave and a refund. I didn't receive a call back from my case manager and they went ahead and credited her for the days she wanted to leave because she had found an apartment earlier than expected and made a false claim about a bug infestation to get out of holding up her end of the reservation.

It took me a week of calling and leaving messages to finally get my case manager to call me back and when I spoke with him he was awful at his job. He showed no empathy and made no attempt to fix the problem. When I asked to speak to a manager he told me there wasn't one there then I said I would be posting my frustration on facebook  suddenly I was able to speak to a manager who resolved my issue.

Overall my experience with Airbnb has been a good one but I just wanted to post this so that hopefully a Airbnb employee will read this and make sure they continue to put a focus on improving the customer service experience.

Bryan

Kat59
Level 1

Momi,  

First off I am not sure if you are representing AirBnbn"

A bit bummed to read your message but I hope perhaps I can shed some light on how can we move forward to have you feel more supported as a host." or commenting as a Superhost?    The message seemed rather combative.  I have been an early adopter and champion of the community for many years, participating in the pride parade for 3 years, attending host dinners, and I also host IN MY HOME (not sure why caps are necessary?). 

Please clarify and feel free to DM me your private info.   I have been hosting for so long that perhaps my host orientation did not include info about regional managers

Also not sure why we have to trash Uber and Lyfts CS, that is irrelevant to the service.  I am also unsure why you are mentioning your status as a JD.   The comment seemed a little off color and combatitive but perhaps a phone conversation could clear that up.

Bottom line is that everyone wants to see the community be successful and my issues stemmed around non-verification of identification (having people under 21 requesting to come into a home that has alcohol and does said alcohol/bar need to be removed, etc), policy breechs and systems misalignment, etc.   I am a softwear eng manager at a major social media company here in SF, so I am not speaking from a laymen's perspective, rather offering solutions to get the community back on track.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Warm regards, 

Kate

Helga0
Level 10

That is a funny thread about lacking customer service, coming from a host with 6 cancellation notices in 27 reviews. Joke aside, I suppose some of your calls concerned the need to cancel. 

I’m hosting lots of people for short stays in a shared room, so all kind of reasons make me call the customer service quite often. (Checking strange instant bookings, third party bookings, damages,  inappropriate behaviour, guest loosing wallet and being without credit card for his next booking, guest booking my place after not getting access to original booking etc etc) 

I have occasionally had a new staffer, who could not deal with an intricate problem, but handed over to an experienced colleague or organised someone calling me within minutes. Most times the first repondant could deal with my problem. 

I have never had anyone being not polite. In every call, I have at least had one person on the line, where talking was a pleasure. 

If you know what you want, it’s rather easy to get satisfaction from CS. Of course it may depend on your wishes being at least halfway within th Terms. 😉 

Francesca452
Level 2

Airbnb Customer Service for hosts should be called Customer Service for Guests because it ALWAYS favour the guest whenever there is a dispute. I've had guests who complained about mold in the house and even when I fixed the problem, although that seemed to amount to a few marks in a wall upstairs, airbnb just refunded the guest completely, including the night that the guest stay in my house so he stayed rent free.

I agree Kat,

I have had horrible experiences in dealing with airbnb... It makes no sense... they rightly ask us to be gracious, generous and flexible, yet they display none of those values towards hosts... I'm disapointed and may leave their platform... so unnecessary...

Tish2
Level 2

Agree! I recently had CS respond to a problem, which was a result of an electronic glitch and human error. He wrote " I just want to remind you that in order to support you as a Super Host, that I will need to go throug Airbnb for all changes" That is what I did. I called Airbnb to help work out the issue. Which was actully handled incorrectly and added to the problem. Yet a one time problem in a year and he threatened my Super Host support. Not cool.

Sennur1
Level 2

Hi

Well I am new, comparing to most of you and came here to seek a help about how do I even reach out to anyone at Airbnb?! But seeing how some responded to Kat I am not that hopeful! Doesn't matter what she wishes for, or how great CS you get or what you do. She is not happy about CS she receives. We all are CUSTOMERS as well as providers. Airbnb makes money because of hosts, hosts make money because of guests. We have right to ask %100 customer satisfaction from Airbnb and receive the services/help we promised, just as our guests has a right to receive what we promised to provide.  If you are happy great. But just like Kat I am not! I dont know who to contact, how to find whom to contact! I looked up and down everywhere, links, and finally community! I want to send an email with pictures but its about co-hosting not guests, so I dont have any link to go to. IF you have any information to help, to redirect,etc please help. If not no need te hear any mocking or bragging...

Thank you! 

Šarka0
Level 6

@Sennur1

I got these 2 numbers from one of the CS representatives, I hope they help:

"By all means, you can reach us on US toll free: +1-855-424-7262 and US local: +1-415-800-5959."

Sennur1
Level 2

Thanks Sarka!