Can we give guests a questionnaire?

Can we give guests a questionnaire?

Before a guest books can the host set up a few questions to see if the host wants the guest in their home and vice versa?

For example:

1. Do you like dogs

2. What days would you like your room cleaned

3. Are you ok with my friends coming over?

4. Do you sleep in late?

Questions like this would let the guest and host know what they are getting into before they book. I feel like host should have the ability to make their own questionnaire for their guests to answer. This would help stop getting matched with someone's that isn't a good match for the host and a host that isn't a good match for a guest.  Feel me?

3 Comments
Anonymous

Actually there is a newish feature in place already that accomplishes something similar. If you go edit the House Rules tab under "Manage Listing," the last option you can add is "Details guests must know about your home." There, you get a few options for types of disclaimers (pets, noise, shared spaces, etc) to tick and explain in detail, that guests will have to see and agree to during the process of making a booking request. 

On the other hand, the questionnaire would be problematic, especially as it would likely create the appearance of discrimination. As a guest I'd be quite uncomfortable with the idea that a host is vetting and judging my character, especially if asking things that are none of their business. The example questions you suggested are all ones that shouldn't be necessary:

1. Do you like dogs  (if there is a pet on site, it should have already been clearly disclosed in the listing, so guests who don't like dogs have had the chance to decide against staying there)

2. What days would you like your room cleaned (most guests don't want the host to enter the guestroom during their stay, and if you intend to offer cleaning as an additional service it should be clearly communicated in the listing too)

3. Are you ok with my friends coming over?  (This is more a question for roommates than for guests; it's your house and your choice whether you have friends over)

4. Do you sleep in late?  (this is none of the host's business; all that should matter on that front is that the guest doesn't overstay their checkout time)

Denny20
Level 2

@Anonymous I have all of these things on my listing. However 10% of my guests that have left non 5 star reviews have complained about one of those things. It's my home I'm renting out..my comfort zone. How could you say it's not the host's business if I want to know if a guest wants to sleep in late? What if it's 1pm and I decide to entertain some friends in my living room and my guest is sleeping from a hard night of work or alcohol. What if my dog is chasing her favorite toy down the hallway by the guest's door? In 5 star hotels they clean rooms everyday...excuse me for trying to give the people the best Airbnb experience.

Helga0
Level 10

@Denny20, I’m with @Anonymous on this one, mostly. 

I have a parrot and a problem with guests, who do not like pets. The parrot feels it and bites me, as he can’t reach the offender. Nevertheless, I can’t filter guests by that question, only discourage some of the animal haters. I added several pictures of the bird in different rooms. There is a bird everywhere! Don’t like it? Better book elsewhere. Some may decide, the price makes them support even a parrot and some change their view here. And I get some bites. That’s life. 

Even if you offer cleaning, you can’t ask them in advance when they wish it. That’s sooo complicated.  Like an invitation for lunch with a request to compose the menu. No way! You offer, you plan, I consume! People are lazy. Don’t scare them by a request to plan a thing. 

Your friends over? Disturbing my sleep? Thanks for the warning, I’ll book elsewhere. 

If they are in your home at decent times or quietly at night, no need to ask permission. 

The layabedsare bothersome. I put checkout at 10, discuss the hour the evening before and would wake everyone at 9 :15discreetly by so e noise close by and at 9:30 joyfully with a good morning! And breakfast preparations in the kitchen. Coffee smell wakes the dead. Jokeaside, I have no more checkout delays. 

As for the stars, when you get rid of one category of ungrateful guests, you atteact the next. Or have to come up with the next questionnaire.