Cancellations since change of policy

Cancellations since change of policy

We have notice a definite increase of last minute cancellations of reservations since the change in policy. This is very unfortunate because you do not always get it filled again.  I would like to suggest that Airbnb list cancelations on peoples profiles (just like they would for hosts) so that host can decide if they want to accept a booking from someone that has canceled many times in the past.  Current policy just do not seem fair or balanced.

I posted this in discussion as well before I realized this forum exist. 

5 Comments
Ken28
Level 10

I would also recommend that they classify 'Refund Requests' as cancellations! I had a guest leave early and get a refund, but it was classified as an 'alteration' instead.

Chris570
Level 1

When a guest wants to leave early and asks to alter their dates, airbnb suggests that the host give the guest full credit for days lost. Does airbnb do the same with their fees to the guest? I think not?

Robin129
Level 10

I have five cancellations since May. None of the dates were rebooked by anyone.  I went into my dashboard and pulled this information regarding cancellations:

1. Yang - Hi Robin I have to cancel this reservation. I am really sorry. There's a sudden change of plan that I won't stop at your city any more. Thanks for your time. Best, Yang

Confirmed July 9 Cancelled July 11.

2. Jennifer - Hey Robin! I ended up finding a road trip partner so will no longer need to stop for the night. I hope this is enough notice that it doesn't cause you any trouble. Thanks for being so prompt and kind! -Jennifer Jun 21, 2017 · Jennifer

Confirmed June 13 Cancelled June 21.

3. Marcus - Hey robin we had car trouble in Winston Salem North Carolina so we aren't going to be able to make it tonight

Jun 20, 2017 · Marcus

Confirmed June 14 Cancelled June 20

4. Robert - job layoff don't require room. Jun 9, 2017 · Robert 

Confirmed June 6 Cancelled June 9

5. Ana - Hi Robin! I'm so sorry I had to cancel my reservation. I was looking forward to meeting you, but my plans changed and I'm no longer traveling through WV. I really do apologize for the change of plans - I feel badly. I hope you have a good weekend and can rent the room out again soon! May 31, 2017 · Ana 

Confirmed May 15 Cancelled May 31.

A job layoff and auto trouble are not the same as "change of plans." I change my "plans" to accomodate people staying in my home. 

If this area is truly for Airbnb to "hear" the hosts and consider their comments, then they need to revisit this cancellation policy. I am not a multi-unit host. I offer my extra room (you know, like the original Airbnbs) so this easy out plan hurts me in multiple ways: potential income, my time (calculate a living wage by the time I spend online doing ABB stuff, confirming, then getting cancelled plus prepping the room), arranging my agenda to accomodate guests, etc. 

It does not help the hosts for ABB to give three free cancellations to a guest. He won't be cancelling on me three times. 

Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10
This already exists. You can read about it in the Cancellation Policies: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies A host will be able to see the number of reservations a guest has canceled over the previous 12 months when the guest submits a request to book. That means if you have Instant Book turned on, you will not see this as the acceptance of a request to book is automatic.
Ron103
Level 8

@Robin129 I use the Moderate cancellation policy offered and have only had 2 cancellations. If I was having the issues you are, I might consider a Strict cancellation policy.
But as it is I would suggest you use the Moderate cancellation policy and see if that helps.