Cleaning fee for dogs

Cleaning fee for dogs

Airbnb has to implement an option for an additional cleaning fee/charge for dogs. I want to be pet friendly, but one shedding dog can take extra hours of cleaning. This cannot be difficult for Airbnb, and it is a big pain in the neck for hosts.

9 Comments
Anonymous

I guess one thing they could do is add a drop-down menu for pets, the way they did with children. But when they added the options for young children, they made a decision most hosts were unhappy with, by determining against our will that infants wouldn't count against the guest totals or be charged.

As it stands, I'd much prefer that they leave well enough alone here. You can charge the additional cleaning fee by requesting payment through airbnb.com/resolutions and making pre-payment of the cleaning fee a condition of admitting the pet to your home.  I don't trust that any new feature would work more smoothly.

MaryJane4
Level 1

Yes Ginger! We love dogs and allow them to stay. I request that the furniture and bedding be respected. I provide sheets to cover couches. But pet hair is sometimes ridiculous. The housekeeper noticed some urine stains on carpet and bed skirt. Problem is housekeeper didn't know which guest...I encouraged housekeeper to check carefully each time. 

I just logged on to find out if there was a standard pet fee and here I am. I don't want to penalize all pet owners but I would like to cover my expenses including extra time for housekeeper.

Joan127
Level 2

I love dogs more than people - I am perplexed at what to do when people bring their ungroomed shedding dog.  It takes up to a month to get all the hair out of the place.   I have a pet dyson vacuum and I use a bleach cleaner on the floors between every guest.  Arrggghhh

would like to know how others handle this situation.

Melanie223
Level 2

I do not like having to go back to the guest to ask for more money when they book with me instantly and then tell me they have a pet.  I don't understand why Air bnb can't add that feature on ahead of time with an additional fee.  Have they ever publicly stated why they don't do this.  Vrbo makes it very easy.

Sherry4
Level 2

I have been requesting a way to add a pet fee for the six years of my hosting on Airbnb.  No results.  They tell me to add it to the request for more money.  Silly!!!

Totally agree with a drop down or check mark to indicate adding a fee for bringing a pet.  Maybe even a number box for guests with more than one pet requiring a fee.  I had one couple this year who asked to bring their lovely white parrot.  I agreed that I would not charge a pet fee for a parrot.

That said, it would be so much easier simply to add the pet fee during the registration process!  How can we make this happen???

Tara106
Level 1

I am in the same situation.  I allow pets but I would love an easy way to charge an extra cleaning fee.  The last group that stayed were nice enough to leave cash but it was wierd to ask them to do that.  A drop down option really needs to be added!

Hi, I have the same issue. We love to have guests with dogs but I recently had 2 guests whose dogs slept in the beds - had to throw out the bedding - and they were left to run free in the garden while owners were in house which resulted in 1 dead chicken and dog poo everywhere. We never charged extra but I am contemplating to not allow pets in the future. 

It must be possible to introduce a fee for dogs in the menu. 

Joan127
Level 2

why did you have to throw out the bedding?  I leave a box of poo bags hanging right by the door.  My problem is the dog hair.  

Lisa723
Level 10

Yes, this is really a nuisance. I do not understand why Airbnb isn't on the ball on this one. They could make it a lot easier for both hosts and guests, plus make more money themselves. They should also allow property search filter for "pets allowed" while they are at it!