Code of Conduct for guests

Code of Conduct for guests

Please ask guests to sign a statement that they understand they are staying in someone's home. The calibre of guests has declined over the last two years. Please also don't reward them for bad behaviour, by refunding their money! The message you're sending is they can do what they want! I sat in my dining room appalled while two guests l

13 Replies 13
Diane84
Level 4
California, United States

Yes!

Please provide details if a guest has had a booking cancelled/has been removed from a reservation. I sat in my dining room appalled while two guests laughingly compared notes about how they'd been kicked out of somewhere and AirBnB refunded their money. One was new - he'd just arrived - and he'd had troubles because his host and her two daughters asked him not to parade around the house in a towel! He then made the rudest comment (to me) using sexual slang and how I shouldn't worry about him because he has a &^%-buddy. He proceeded during that visit to do so many little things that were not appropriate (removed my clothing from the washing machine to use it, stained one of my towels, borrowed cutlery to take to work without asking....and it went on). It is rarely the host.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Teri (And Aaron)

I agree with your suggestion, but unfortunately do I agree will it moderate behaviour, I don’t.

It will give us hosts, reassurance that our guests read and acknowledge the rule of engagement so there are no alleged misunderstandings and claim of unreasonable behaviour on our part.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Indeed. I don't think it would change the people it needs to change (as in those most in need of it probably won't even read it) but it WOULD send a message, counter perhaps to AirBnB's propensity lately to reward guests who are removed from reservations by refunding their money.

Agree entirely with the last bit too.

Patrick153
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Refunding the guests should is so wrong.

How about compensation to the host?  That seems appropriate to me.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I'm not sure what help we can get with this other than these two items that are already available

1) Remove someone who is inappropriate! Call CS, you be the one who is proactive. It is your home, act like it and enforce good behavior!

2) Write an honest review about every guest!

Hi Kelly

I believe this would help yo psychologically reframe Airbnb in the eyes of potential guests. Slowly and gradually and for some and not others. I think it should be included in the terms and conditions 

Included in terms and conditions. Organisations use this type of thing all the time. The reframing would take Airbnb back to its origins, in theory only, granted, but it has to start somewhere,

Tomiko0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

A signed code of conduct means nothing..  Only $$$$ talks.  A guest that has been asked to leave for a legitimate reason should NOT be refunded for any part of their booked stay.  In fact, they should be flagged for removal from the AirBnB community.  Guests who misrepresent on their profile, behave inappropriately, endanger the saftey and security of the host and or other guests, attempt extortion using reviews to get a refund, etc.  These are all clearly stated as violations of policy, particularly in an instant book situation.  

I had a guest recently that had a profile picture of her with her cute 4-5 year old son and did an instant booking for 3 (herself, her son, and her son's lifelong friend)  She had 2 reviews, both good.  They had booked empty apartments, left them in very good condition, but the hosts never met them.  It's OK for a woman with 2 small children in one room.  However, when they arrived, I saw that her son was at least 17 years old, as was his friend!  I would never have booked three grown people into a smal room with just a singe queen bed.  

I did have a guest room that I do not list that I hold out for family and friends, so for a $10 cleaning service and just $5/night additional, I allowed one of the boys to use it.  She chose to let her son have the room and allowed the son's friend to share her room.  Not OK with me.

Her son was clearly developmentall delayed (probably autistic), responding only to his mother, touching everything, opening cabinets, my freezer, everything within reach.  He also began stripping his clothes once in the foyer and later to take a shower oblivious to the fact that I was still in the room.

I spoke with the company and was told I could not ask them to leave based on these issues (ADA and discrimination based on disability).  

Then came the kicker, he opened my bedroom door and stepped in my room at 11:30 at night!  Fortunatly I was up reading and not yet in bed!  Equally as fortunate it was my room and not the other guest's room.  Not only could I have lost that guest, I could be in deep S@#$% for failing to adequately protect my guest. I immediately spoke with his mother and said that this was not the best situation for her and her son and she had to leave in the morning.  She did.

Then she demanded a refund, saying I feared men (ha! though she had described him as her child) and with a  thinly veiled threat to ruin my business with a bad review (as if, since I had over 150 positive reviews)  Because she did not cancel, my room remained booked for the night I did not allow her to stay in my house....therefore the day was blocked and I lost money.  

In spite of my protest AirBnB REFUNDED her money!  I have a moderate cancellation policy so she should of at least lost 100% of one day and 50% of the next five days and 0for those days more than 5.  Her behavior forced her removal, just as if she had cancelled on short notice, which she never processed.  I could not have even re-booked the room to try to recoup my losses.  Also without the cancellation, she still could write a nasty, vengeful review as she had threatened.  My only recourse was to write a review exposing her behavior so other hosts are forewarnedl  It seems the company liason representatives always side with the guest, instead of a Superhost (like what does that even mean anymore)! 

The Code of Conduct would be a defining statement to make clear, at the very outset, what would be expected of guests. All policy would be built around what's contained therein. Including no refunds. Big organisations use written documents all the time to define objectives and expectations and to frame all business activity. I don' mean it should be an isolated, floating, piece of scrap paper with no meaning.

As for the no money back idea....love it....but AirBnB has just announced they'll also be refunding booking fees - the message they're sending is clear...Abuse us, Oh Great Unwashed, and Abuse Our Hosts.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

No guest ever has the right to make you uncomfortable in your own home. For me, nudity would do it. I would probably have given a stern lecture at the first sign of a guy stripping. My house rules simply state "common courtesy" and this so so outside anything close. I once hosted a mother and son in a single bedroom with one queen bed. I had assumed a younger child, but he was a huge older teen. I was uncomfortable, but let them stay. It worked out ok, but I'm glad this doesn't happen much.

Velma3
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

Y-E-S !!!!!!

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

DO I HEAR AN AMEN?

(  ___  )(       )(  ____ \( (    /|
| (   ) || () () || (    \/|  \  ( |
| (___) || || || || (__    |   \ | |
|  ___  || |(_)| ||  __)   | (\ \) |