Commission for recommending/suggesting airbnb experiences

Commission for recommending/suggesting airbnb experiences

With some of us reaching ever higher occupancy rates, I believe hosts such as myself are always looking for alternative ways to increase our income.

I see Airbnb experiences as a good way to do this. I rent an entire apartment and many times, guests ask about activities to do in the region, or recommendations for good restaurants, etc.

An option would be that we, as hosts, could recommend specific experiences (and potentially give a coupon or a referral code) and get a commission if they booked. I think this would be a win for everybody involved because:

1) The host of the experience would get more clients, hence earning more money.

2) The host of the apartment would earn additional income

3) Airbnb could earn extra revenue since potentially there would be more bookings via airbnb experiences and furthermore, hosts could push experiences even to guests that come to their properties via alternative platforms such as booking.com, expedia or tripadvisor.

2 Comments
Richard605
Level 2

coupons in app would be great. for local stores.   This would help with local stores seeing the leads and benefits from AirBnB guests.  I personally have physical coupons from some local shops but this is difficult to manage.  If it was digital on the app, it would work easier and other AirBnB hosts could participate.   We are in a small town so there are few other local digital coupon systems that work here, but a lot of tourists from Washington DC come out. 

Also on the experiences, there are many local places that would love to host experiences but the closest place to host is Washington DC, about 1.5 hour drive away.   We get many guests from DC area wanting to get away and experience small town.  being able to host experiences an as OP posted link coupons to their stay would help the community locally grow.   

I agree with the OPs 3 benefits but there are others like, in my case we have 2.5 acres of land on the Potomac river, we could also host experiences on the lawn or river front that would benefit far more than just us as we can host (sleep) a smaller number, other AirBnB hosts near by could benefit from us hosting say a kayak trip or yoga experience on the large lawn area...   In fact there are other hosts near by both up and down river from us that we could partner with along with a third party (local kayak shop in town) to host a kayak from one AirBnB house to the other.      

Local town (Shepherdstown WV) has many resteraunts that would also benefit as they always get traffic from the AirBnBs (we all see many comments in our guest books).   

There is local Hotel Tax / Tourisim counsel benefit as well helping us to get better recognition in the counsel as a viable tourism force, currently the big hotels get all the recognition and referals though AirBnBs pay the tax as well.

Lisel0
Level 2

I like this idea and would like to take it another step. There are so many grassroots social projects in our local to global cxommunities who can use our help. If we help organize activities with a % of fees going to social projects non profit we suggest the adventure becomes community service as well. 

We donate 30% guest fees to a Haitian partner non profit small -  Haitian-led and guests thank us all the time for so doing! Lesser known cafes and outings locally can benefit also. 

pls let me know if you want to be part of a host group proposing to Airbnb that we get some encouragement to plan such an effort, or better sharing of those hosts who are doing something in the community service direction.