Communication Should Prevail Over Accept/Reject in the Blocking of Calendar Dates of a Guest Inquiry

Communication Should Prevail Over Accept/Reject in the Blocking of Calendar Dates of a Guest Inquiry

Dear Airbnb,

I am writing as I note that your team approach is to now block out calendar days for hosts who do not reply with Accept/Reject within 24 hours of inquiry by a prospective guest.   I actually do reply (always) but my reply is not always ready for a Accept/Reject determination.  There are times that, based on the information a prospective Guest provides with an inquiry, I have questions regarding their traveling party or additional information to provide based on their travel purpose.   For example, a short-term stay guest may write to say that they are attending a conference in Palm Springs.  Based on this, I reply that my location is actually quite far from Palm Springs, that there are many other Airbnb options that are closer, and would, otherwise, like to confirm that an up to 45 minute drive is acceptable.   My view is that it is up to the Guest at this point to Accept/Reject.   For me, I do not want to Reject a guest if he/she understands and agrees to this additional disclosure, but I also don't want to Accept and run the risk of having an unhappy guest as they didn't take the time to fully read my reply.  My accepting makes the "done-deal" step to easy as the guest no longer has to process a reply and confirmation step.

A few of my rentals are 30+ day locations.  Given the longer term stay requirement, it should be understood and expected that there may be some back-and-forth communications prior to a reservation being confirmed.  For the traveler, it is typically a large financial commitment that is made even more difficult absent the ability to view the property or speak/meet with me beforehand.  The process and time tied to communication, you should understand, builds confidence and a degree of trust between both parties.  For me, as the Host, I am communicating with a prospective Guest who will have tenancy rights in my property.   As such, I prefer not to have Airbnb block my calender simply becasue I have not Accepted or Rejected an inquiry. 

As the Host, my being forced, if you will, by Airbnb to reject an inquiry while the guest and I are in communication regarding my location sends the wrong message.  My accepting a reservation prior to understanding the guest's full and complete needs would be irresponsible and potentially creates problems for all involed.  

Thank you for your consideration.

Dear Airbnb,

I am writing as I note that your team approach is to now block out calendar days for hosts who do not reply with Accept/Reject within 24 hours of inquiry by a prospective guest.   I actually do reply (always) but my reply is not always ready for a Accept/Reject determination.  There are times that, based on the information a prospective Guest provides with an inquiry, I have questions regarding their traveling party or additional information to provide based on their travel purpose.   For example, a short-term stay guest may write to say that they are attending a conference in Palm Springs.  Based on this, I reply that my location is actually quite far from Palm Springs, that there are many other Airbnb options that are closer, and would, otherwise, like to confirm that an up to 45 minute drive is acceptable.   My view is that it is up to the Guest at this point to Accept/Reject.   For me, I do not want to Reject a guest if he/she understands and agrees to this additional disclosure, but I also don't want to Accept and run the risk of having an unhappy guest as they didn't take the time to fully read my reply.  My accepting makes the "done-deal" step to easy as the guest no longer is required to take an additional step to confirm their stay.

A few of my rentals are 30+ day locations.  Given the longer term stay requirement, it should be understood and expected that there may be some back-and-forth communications prior to a reservation being confirmed.  For the traveler, it is typically a large financial commitment that is made even more difficult absent the ability to view the property or speak/meet with me beforehand.  The process and time tied to communication, you should understand, builds confidence and a degree of trust between both parties.  For me, as the Host, I am communicating with a prospective Guest who will have tenancy rights in my property.   As such, I prefer not to have Airbnb block my calendar simply because I have not Accepted or Rejected an inquiry. 

As the Host, my being forced, if you will, by Airbnb to reject an inquiry while the guest and I are in communication regarding my location sends the wrong message.  My accepting a reservation prior to understanding the guest's full and complete needs would be irresponsible and potentially creates problems for all involved.  

Thank you for your consideration.

7 Comments
Debbie14
Level 2

All of these that I (a host as well) read are excellent. I guess I wonder if Airbnb, who is lucky to have such committed professionals, is reading them.

Huma0
Level 10

Thanks @Gina7 for your post. I think the points you make are very salient. As hosts (especially if you host in your own house) you shold have time to make the necessary enquiries before accepting/rejecting a booking.

In my limited experience, a lot of people who request to book don't read the full description and so it is also in the guest's benefit that you take the time to make sure they understand what they are booking.

Personally, I think I may have potentially caused problems for myself by being pressurised into accepting bookings by the 24 hour restriction...

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10

I do wish I could have more time, but don't think that this 24-hour limit is a deal-breaker.  The positive aspect of this is that I've learned that Guests will sent out multiple inquiries, and Hosts need to get potential Guests resolved timely.  When an inquiry is sent, I nearly always need to request more information, because Guests don't know to provide any info, and I assume that the potential Guest will write back shortly.  If they don't, then a few hours before the 24 hours arrives, I write back and advise that Airbnb forces me to respond within 24 hours.  "If you need more time than the 24 hours, I will need to deny your request, pending the information, but please re-submit your request with your information."  I've had to do this a few times, and everyone has re-submitted a request (so far).  

Gina7
Level 1

Happy New Year to the Airbnb Community.   I want to thank those who have replied to my post, and acknowledge appreciation to those who have read it. 

A slippery slope is encountered when hosts, such as me, are complying with local ordinances that require a minimum 30 day stay for traveler accommodations that do not charge TOT.   Of further concern is that once a traveler resides 30 + days in a location, they have tenancy rights under State statutes.   This means that an Airbnb guest who stays more than 30 days has tenancy rights.  A formal eviction process must be pursued by the property owner to regain possession for nonpayment or violation of occupancy.  This takes several weeks to render via a judge and sheriff process. In addition to legal costs, it exposes the owner to run away utility costs (it is illegal for a landlord to turn off utilities for an unpaying occupant), and property damages as a tenant lives rent free in a home that they are not paying for and for which the landlord has no security deposit in its possession to cover damages.

Airbnb's business model, as I understand it, is to facilitate accommodations for travelers, not to be an agent between a landlord and tenant.  Thus approving a tenant for a 30 + day stay prior to speaking with them or "vetting" them puts property owners at risk.  Particularly when the property owner is required to Accept/Reject within 24 hours.  I am in the middle of a 4 1/2 year lawsuit of a guest that I rented to via an Airbnb equivalent website.  I am the defendant, which means I am being sued.   How I approved, documented, and administered the landlord/tenant relationship has been part of the plaintiff's discovery and deposition.  Diligence is not only a right, but a duty.

As Airbnb has become more widely known, and in view of local ordinances that require a minimum 30 day stay, I recommend that Airbnb consider a service module for guests looking for furnished month-to-month rental arrangements, and for landlord's who chose to offer them.   This module should include the ability for each party to exchange their contact information, allow for a viewing of the unit, and not be restricted by a 24 hour Accept/Reject feature.   I realize that Airbnb loses control of getting paid a fee; however, I am sure that the very smart executives of Airbnb can figure out a scheme to overcome this.

Gina Marotta

Kirstie
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

CarlandDiane0
Level 10

@Gina7  I haven't noticed that if I merely reply via message to a guest within 24 hours, Airbnb puts a hold on those requested dates. In fact, I just tested this with two pending reservations (one I declined by message but not officially by pressing the red "Decline" button, and the other in which neither pre-approval nor declining was appropriate at that point). To run the test, I jumped onto the Airbnb site using a different browser and played potential guest searching for those dates, and our listing came up and showed were were  available.

My understanding was that Airbnb blocks the dates if you don't respond in any way within 24 hours. But your experience has been different? I'm curious to know.  Do you think it's different for longer-term stays? (We usually get 1 to 3 nights -- 5 at most.)

Thanks!

Nannette0
Level 3

I have seen where I have a choice to block the dates or not after accepting.  I also have messaged  guest that my acceptance is subject to the rules of my house, check in , check out time, etc....If they break my rules they are subject to removal from my house with cancellation from their part.  In this manner,  I have replied and accepted therefore complying with accept/reject policy within 24 hours (I read somewhere on the site itself that it is not sufficient to reply, that one does need to accept or reject otherwise it will count as a no reply)  therefore  by accepting I am not penalized and I am making it subject to my house rules  covering all my bases at the same time.