Create an option for collecting taxes!

Create an option for collecting taxes!

I have mentioned this many times in the forum, as have many others. Please add an option for collecting taxes! Those of us who have rentals in areas that charge a tax are getting killed by taxes that we can’t quantify by raising the nightly rate. It’s as simple as adding a button and a % option. Just like we can charge a fee for housecleaning, we should be able to charge a % for taxes. We have vacation rentals in Hawai’i and the tax is 14.41%. How do you quantify that percentage in a rate hike without losing potential guests?

3 Comments
Perry16
Level 2

Yes I agree

Cristen2
Level 3

The advice/instructions I was given by AirBnB on how to collect the local occupancy taxes required by my city were to either collect it via cash when the guest arrives or after check-in send a request for money for the tax amount this way neither party is charged fees on the taxes.  You just have to let your guests know about this in your listing and I also remind them/verify that they saw that via a message when they are booking.  If it is documented and your guest never responds to the request for money AirBnB intervenes after 72 hours and charges the guest and sends you the money.  Most of the time I send the request and then cancel the request if they hand me cash.  I've seen another host require the guest send them the tax money via PayPal as a person to person transfer prior to check-in, in their listing they explain that process.  

Mary749
Level 2

I started using the "Request for funds" to collect transitory Occupancy taxes required by my county. I let guests know the percentage rate and the fact that they will need to pay the tax in my house rules. The method seems clunky. At the very least a Taxes tab could be added to the request for funds menu. I do wish a percentage tab could be added to the check out process so it could all be handled at one check out.