Dog Friendly properties

0 Likes

Dog Friendly properties

I list my properties as "dog friendly"  and almost all guests have been very forthright asking the right questions, yard, kennel, walking areas etc. However, I recently had a guest, long term sneak two dogs into the house.  When I questioned them, the defense was "dog friendly" designation.  I never meant that to mean you can bring any dog, any number of dogs, to my house without some type of notice and plan. Are they in a kennel, do you need a kennel. 

I plan on defining my "dog friendly" designation to meet my needs.  Any help or  suggestions would be appreciated!

2 Comments
Amy459
Level 5

@Annette2, Unfortunately because of Airbnbs Assistance Animal policy, even if you are not pet friendly at all, in most cases, the guest is allowed to sneak any animal (peacock, pig, cat) into your home. If they claim it is an Emotional Support Animal, according to the policy, as hosts there is no documentation that the guest has to provide you.

More info here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Every-Host-Should-Read-This-Assistance-Animal-Policy/...

In regards to your post question, I would suggest making it clear in your house rules as well as your initial message that you have a "screening process"  to the dog friendly part of your listing, including several questions that need to be answered prior to arrival! Good luck!

Annette2
Level 2

Thank you. In my case there was more than one dog with no notice. I have rented to owners bringing their service animal, but was told ahead of time so we could make accommodations.  I just think I won’t do any stay this long again. Live and learn.