Don't make it mandatory for ANY host to use Instant Book

Ken34
Level 4
Fort Myers, FL

Don't make it mandatory for ANY host to use Instant Book

We hosts keep hearing that AirBnb is going to force everyone to use Instant Book.  I submit to you that no one wants a third party to dictate who may or may not stay in their private home.    We also hear in the field that forcing new hosts to use IB is not making them very happy, and causing a lot of trauma.  Established hosts do not want to be dictated to either.  If Air forces all hosts to use IB, I believe that a majority of existing hosts will quit the program. 

20 Replies 20
Anne212
Level 1
Penzance, GB

I agree totaly and would stop being a host if i had no choice as to who i could host.

Steve103
Level 9
Florida, United States

I agree that would be unfortunate but I say this in terms of how the system is right now.  I can see this being doable with many changes around the site.

Theyd need to give out some really expansive settings for hosts to set rules on their instant books to make this conceivable to apply to all.  

And theyd need to put some massive checks and balances on guests to hold them accountable.  Right now guests are the host issue for the most part.  Heck, the guest is actually favored over the host when an issue arises.

If a host needs to accept anyone for any time period the burden of guest issues shifts back to Airbnb that would need to cover before their stay, during, and the process after if anything comes up. 

This is doable but there is a huge gap right now between where they are now and where they need to be to pull this off. 

As it stands the restrictions on new hosts are unreasonable. It looks like a test that I cant imagine is working very well.  I'm hopeful it gets improved upon soon because there is no way I would be the host I am today if I had to grow from that  starting position. 

JimandKathy0
Level 5
Rochester, NY

My opinion has always been that Instant Book goes against the founding ethos of Airbnb. NOT A HOTEL

Patricia247
Level 3
Woking, United Kingdom

I would be very unhappy if I was forced to use instant book.  As we are welcoming guests into our home, we need to be able to choose whether or not to accept a new guest's reservation.   If I am at all worried, I always ask questions of the guest so that I know exactly who they are and why they are coming to stay.  This avoids awkwardness once they are in situ.   Please, Airbnb, don't make this mandatory, it isn't necessary.

I understand that Instant Book would be a tidy, easy solution to a big PR problem Airbnb has right now (discrimination; sure, you can say "no discrimination," but if hosts are also allowed to refuse a request if they are uncomfortable - used to say "for any reason" - how can you make sure it isn't happening?).

But if I could get an Instant Book reservation at any time, then to protect myself/my ratings (no, I am not going to keep the house guest-ready for days or weeks on end if there are no reservations, especially when the payout in this city is often less than $40/night) I would be forced to say I can't accept same-day bookings, and frankly, that is a lot of stays we wouldn't be getting who might end up going to a hotel instead.

We started with Instant Book and had so many problems that I would never turn it back on. People had 1 two-word review and skated through and were a nightmare. The IB people act entitled and treat our home like a hotel. Never again. Would quit if it became mandatory.

Katie74
Level 1
Taunton, United Kingdom

I lost my Super Host status as a result of a guest using instant book for one night and saying they would not arrive till after 11pm. Our caravan is in a remote place with no electricity so we always ask people to arrive in daylight - but beacue of instant book I had to cancel him as there was no other option even though he was unable to meet our check-in requirements. Not quite right I feel.

Katie, it seems like you should be able to get Airbnb to fix that if you asked them, as it was a special circumstance. Alternatively you could put in your host rules that people must arrive during daylight, and the reason. People have to accept the rules when they instant book and you're allowed to cancel if they break the rules, so that would have prevented the issue in the first place.

Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

I have posted several comments on similar threads to this, and started my own. I am one of the potential new hosts who have been landed with a template that makes it impossible to turn off Instant Book. Once I realised this I immediately delisted my property.

As I said to several of the advisors I spoke to at the call centre who all tried to persuade me to work with Instant Book, just having the 'lightning bolt' symbol on my property sends out completely the wrong message. I am not running a hotel, nor do I want to attract guests who will treat my property as such.

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

I agree completely. As an older woman, I would never be comfortable with being forced to accept all comers, essentially. IB  sends the wrong messages to guests, and is a nightmare for hosts. Not the Airbnb model or ethos I signed up for.

Mary-and-Jeff1
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Absoutely NO REQUIREMENT FOR INSANT BOOK ! ! ! ! !  This is against everything Airbnb stands for.  I have been a Superhost for 2.5 years and do a wonderful job.  but if IB comes as a requirement, I am out of here.  Love what I am doing, but I will NEVER use Instant book! ! ! 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

No No No NO!!!! That would be absolutely terrible. I would stop hosting if I couldn't decide about who is in my home with me!!!
Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

I am so relieved to see that other Hosts are as upset as I am about the Instant Book policy.  I have told everyone who would listen at airbnb that I will never accept instant booking and will no longer Host if it becomes mandatory.  It is completely wrong headed and goes against the grain of the original airbnb philosophy. I do not want the people who instant book, as my Guests are looking for a different kind of airbnb experience.  

The one person who came close to being an Instant Booking due to her inquiry, showed up as a full blown passive aggresive, food natzi, vegan, who complained about everything including that it took too long for the complimentary fresh roasted coffee to make while managing to eat a whole pound of bacon. She "accidently" set paper towels on fire and complained that the smoke detector went off which hurt her ears.  To which I replied "Oh, good the smoke detectors work."

Thanks to all the Hosts out there that are doing such a great job of making airbnb the unique brand name that it is, and shame on airbnb for trying to penalize the very people who made airbnb what it is.  I worry that a few bad business policies (instant booking and absentee rental agencies are going to ruin this great service for everyone.

Keep up the good fight.

Eloise at Happy Trails

I would also stop hosting if IB becomes manditory. You learn that 5 young people who want to book for the minimum period and then ask if they can have extras are going to party. I once accepted a group like that I came home to candle wax all over the stair carpet. Very much not against birthday parties, but I don't need the hasle after the event.