Family collection should not include TV's.

Family collection should not include TV's.

I am a superhost of a popular and very family friendly farm cabin.  I meet all the requirements for Family Collection except for a TV.  In this day and age when most every guest has their own laptop or device why would a rental need a TV.  Most of the families that stay at my farm cabin comment on the joy they get from watching the animals.  I purposely did not add a TV so families could enjoy nature and the farm and connect on a personal level.  I provide wifi, games, books, toys, children's cutlery and dishes, crib and a high chair.  There is so much happening around the cabin that a TV would distract from that unique experience and disconnect family time.  I feel it is unfair to be denied Family Collection status based on not having a TV.  Please reconsider this.  

34 Comments
Sarah977
Level 10

@Ian84  I didn't miss your point at all. I just disagree with it, as do the majority of the hosts on this thread. So yes, agree to disagree. And the universal medium of communication is no longer TV, it is the internet. I'm afraid you're dating yourself 🙂 But that's okay, I'm a little long in the tooth as well.

Sean119
Level 10

Like @Raquel0 we are on a farm and do not offer tv.  We polled our guests (after our first season) and said we were considering adding a smart tv.  The overwhelming consensus was the lack of tv was a plus, allowing (sometimes forcing) conversation and interaction amongst guests.  Increasingly I care less and less about what ABB thinks our offering should be.  We already have 10 guests booked for our summer season and one (1) is from ABB...the rest are from the other hosting service.

Kristine37
Level 2

Regardless of how hosts feel personally about the inclusion or exclusion of TVs from properties, I would be interested to know how AirBNB came to determine that this criterion was valued highly enough by users to create this seeming bias, now, with the creation of the Work and Family collections, against properties that do not offer them.

I'll be following this thread until the question is answered by AirBNB personnel.

Thanks!

Elly0
Level 4

I love this idea that designing an intentional Family stay could purposefully not include a TV, and feel it is unfair to exclude such otherwise great listings from the Family Collection by *requiring* a TV.

On the same point, Airbnb, please do not *require* a TV for a listing to qualify for the Work Collection. I have a great little space for a work traveler that is known for *quiet*, can gladly provide all the other amenities on the list, but don't have the space for a TV.

Sarah977
Level 10

@Elly0  And what connection could airbnb possibly see between Work and watching TV? If people are coming to work, and they want to relax with some mindless entertainment, I'm sure they're all equipped with their laptops, netflicks, etc.

Rose210
Level 1

Totally agree with the 'entertainment' option rather than TV.  Noone really wants it, noone mostly uses it, it's silly.  Can we drop the TV requirement?  If there is WiFi , and there usually is, people can stream the sport or whatever.   Could a relacement be - and I don't have the words for this - screen access to my netflixs - or whatever the wording is to give screen access to movies and TV series that kids want to watch.  The internet sorts the rest. 

Mostly kids are more than happy with a small screen on their knees, but I would consider a bigger screen and cable for family viewing.

Allan79
Level 2

Totally agree Raquel.  I was going to raise this question myself.  In my mind a TV is not a necessity for a family friendly place.  All our guests that have stayed (including those with Children) have never commented on the fact that a TV is not in the property.  As you point out they all bring their ipads etc and in my mind as long as an internet service is available in the property, that is all that is required.  Our house is in a village in Crete and all the families we have had stay simply enjoy visiting the area and making use of the roof terrace in the evenings for eating or playing games with their children.  Wake up Airbnb, listen to what your Superhosts are saying.

Susan787
Level 2

Don't have a TV either, and don't want one. I just noticed today that I'm now included in the work collection, after initially not being. Anyone esle?

Elly0
Level 4

Yes, I worked to get in the Work Collection after discovering a TV is no longer required! I'm impressed this changed back so quickly, and attribute this to our feedback, thank you Airbnb!

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

and now, i was just informed the reason i am not coming up in the family category, even though i purchased and checked the amenities list for the required TV now, because i need two 5 star ratings from Family travelers.....uuuuuuummmmm, the uh category is new, and i don't come up in the category search, and yet i need two ratings from travelers in this new category to get into the category.....!!!!! and by the way, have had many families at my listing, that did give me 5 star reviews.....??