Family collection should not include TV's.

Family collection should not include TV's.

I am a superhost of a popular and very family friendly farm cabin.  I meet all the requirements for Family Collection except for a TV.  In this day and age when most every guest has their own laptop or device why would a rental need a TV.  Most of the families that stay at my farm cabin comment on the joy they get from watching the animals.  I purposely did not add a TV so families could enjoy nature and the farm and connect on a personal level.  I provide wifi, games, books, toys, children's cutlery and dishes, crib and a high chair.  There is so much happening around the cabin that a TV would distract from that unique experience and disconnect family time.  I feel it is unfair to be denied Family Collection status based on not having a TV.  Please reconsider this.  

34 Comments
ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

am booked 297 days a year by folks that consider themselves non working....(should be Vacation, not Family) so Family with 4.9 % 5 star ratings....they book with me and appreciate that there is no TV.

Lisa723
Level 10

@ChuckandCarole0 They just have to be reviews from people Airbnb knows brought children.

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

Thanks Lisa, i have had many families with children, so it's obvious airbnb doesn't have a way to know?

Lisa723
Level 10

@ChuckandCarole0 They do know if the reservation includes children or infants. If you have such reservations that left you five star reviews I would try contacting customer support. (I got the categorization for my listing but it didn’t happen immediately for some reason.)

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

thanks Lisa, i have been going thru this with customer support for 2 weeks now....frustrating hours of work, being told one thing after another is required....i have hosted families with 5 star reviews, have let customer service know this, to no avail. obviously they are designing more and more features that are more complicated than airbnb can handle efficiently. 

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

i appreciate you taking the time to reach out Lisa, am wondering though, since when do folks have to have infants or toddlers to qualify as a family?? this is as ridiculous as the requirement for a TV......how shortsighted of airbnb.

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

A big deal here, is the requirement that hosts have children friendly amenities.....so  now folks that don't have children are not a family?!!!  folks that have grown children, or past the age of toddlers,  are not a family?!! why isn't the designation, " Work, or Toddler friendly"?   

Lisa723
Level 10

They don’t have to be toddlers or infants @ChuckandCarole0, just children.

not advocating, just sharing info that I have.

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

i love that you are giving me info Lisa...thank you again.... that said, many traveling families have no children.....i do think the filters need to be thought through more,  and instead of Family, it could  be Children Friendly, or Vacation, or Work....those three seem like they would be more inclusive, and help guests more than the "Family" designation that limits so many hosts....even though i am set up for small children and have had them here with infants...and still not coming up!!

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7

and why would Families, which it appears airbnb interprets as people with children,  be more partial to TV than anyone else? the families with small children i have hosted were thankful i didn't have a TV.