Foreign Exchange - Guest Pays in Host Currency

Foreign Exchange - Guest Pays in Host Currency

I have lost hundreds of dollars on my AirBnB bookings due to the foreign exchange policy. I had several guests book months in advance (in January when the $CAD was low) and check-in in May or June when the $CAD was much higher. AirBnB converts to USD upon booking confirmation. Months later, when the $CAD had strengthened, my payout was hundreds of dollars short of what it should have been. 

A simple solution from other sites: Have AirBnB open a $CAD bank acct - no currency exchange required. Better yet, forget PayPal, allow for direct deposits to my $CAD account. Other sites have figured this out. It's not all that complicated.

PLEASE.....!

5 Comments
Barbara241
Level 1

Totally agree, alot of my guests are Canadian and do not want to pay in US dollars. Should have the option to pay in the funds where they are staying.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Jorge115
Level 1

I wanted to pay n US Dollars and the system doesn't allowed me, they forced me to use my country currency and lost $23 for the ususrious exchange rate.

Laurie49
Level 2

Hello Jorge,

As I understand it, a traveller from outside the USA who is using AirBnB's services will pay in their home currency. AirBnB immediately converts the payment to US funds. Weeks/Months later when you (the traveller) arrive at your accommodations the host will get paid. However, as a host, if the currency exchange rate has changed I will receive the current rate on the day I get paid. That rate can be either favourable or unfavourable to me. In my case it was unfavourable and I lost a lot of money on the booking.

A simple solution would be for AirBnB to open bank accounts in each country where it does business. That way, no conversion need ever take place. AirBnB is unlikely to do that any time soon: as you point out, they make too much money by doing the conversions!

Jorge115
Level 1

I was able to pay in US Dollars, I have an acount in that currency but Airbnb couldn't allowed me to pay in US Dolllars, that's the point.