Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS

Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS

DragonflyHill

This is really messed up. Now when hosts indicate that our listing is suitable for up to X guests, it's really X guests + 5 free children under 2 years old, and there's no way to adjust for this. This is outrageous. 1. We should have a say in who comes in our homes for free, 2. We should determine the total number of guests. 3. FIVE FREE INFANTS? REALLY? FIVE? THAT'S A WHOLE PRESCHOOL CLASS. EVEN PRESCHOOL CLASSES HAVE A COST AND THOSE KIDS GO HOME AT THE END OF THE DAY.

WE want our home to be comfortable for children and welcoming, but when we said we could only accommodate up to 4 people, that didn't mean up to 9 people if 5 of them were under 2 years old. It didn't mean free lodging for ANYONE.

You could allow hosts to offer free passage to children, in a discount setting. You could allow guests to search for "chlldren are free" or "infants are free" in a search feature.

You absolutely have to allow hosts to determine how many people they can comfortably, affordably and safely lodge.

We've added the following statement to our listing:

"While we are children friendly, we cannot provide free accommodations for children OF ANY AGE.  We welcome your children into our home but all fees and total number of guest limits apply.  We love and welcome children but at the prices we are offering, we cannot afford to have extra people of any age here, without compensation for our labor and resources. "

Response from Airbnb

The decision not to count infants toward the number of guests was based on hospitality industry standards. The goal for this policy is to support a positive guest experience, specifically for families booking on Airbnb. Although the majority of hosts are comfortable with this policy, some aren’t, and we are interested in figuring out how this tool can be improved to work better for more hosts.

If you don’t want to accept bookings from families traveling with infants, or want to include them as part of the total guest count, there are a few controls you can currently take advantage of:

1. Clearly indicate in your house rules whether your place is suitable for infants. If you must charge for infants, note that guests are to include infants in the adult guest count rather than in the infant guest count. Remember, avoiding discrimination based on factors like familial status is part of the Airbnb commitment you signed. Hosts should welcome families unless a place is clearly not suitable for infants and children, something often best left up to the family to decide.
  2. If you’re using the request-to-book option instead of Instant Book, then you can discuss with potential guests whether you’re able to accommodate them.
  3. You can indicate in your settings that your place is not suitable for infants. If you have instant book turned on, guests who indicate they’re traveling with infants will not be able to book your home instantly. They can still request to book your space, just as they would any non-Instant Book listing.
  4. If you’re using Instant Book, then you can always cancel a booking penalty-free if a guest breaks your house rules.

79 Comments
Susie0
Level 10

I just tested it as if I were booking as I didn't elieve it. It is true! 😞

Tiare-and-Alfi0
Level 2

Two points of view on this:

1. It is this outrageous for Airbnb to expect us to take anyone for free saying infancts pose no impact, well that is just wrong. An average infant has at least 7-8 dipers a day to dispose along with wipes,etc. They use water, electricity and have the ability and the will to touch, mar and damage many surfaces in the home requiring extra cleaning.

2. It is not only dangerous but ILLEGAL to go over stated occuapancy of homes.  The legal team at Airbnb need to check out the National Electric Codes, "Life Saftey Code", that regulates fire safety as it pertains to hospital and rentals or anywere people gather.  Infants are classified as non ambulatoory so thus more at risk. Does Airbnb want bad press due to a fire tragedy?  

As a host, we need to have the option to offer infants as free guests, but we have come to realize the cleaning / damage / noise at least doubles and water (baths), heating (higher temps), garbage (diapers/wipes) use increases dramatically EVEN MORE than an adult guest.

AirBnB should not dictate to their valued hosts the age of guests and certainly not told to offer infants as additional guests and FREE at that.

Please give this some thought, survey your hosts and make a better informed decision to reverse this quickly.

Queenie0
Level 10

Infants are people. Duh.

I am going to re-post what was said above to add my voice.  Can't say it any better than this:

1. It is this outrageous for Airbnb to expect us to take anyone for free saying infancts pose no impact, well that is just wrong. An average infant has at least 7-8 dipers a day to dispose along with wipes,etc. They use water, electricity and have the ability and the will to touch, mar and damage many surfaces in the home requiring extra cleaning.

2. It is not only dangerous but ILLEGAL to go over stated occuapancy of homes.  The legal team at Airbnb need to check out the National Electric Codes, "Life Saftey Code", that regulates fire safety as it pertains to hospital and rentals or anywere people gather.  Infants are classified as non ambulatoory so thus more at risk. Does Airbnb want bad press due to a fire tragedy?  

FIVE infants? 👶 👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻👶🏻 In one little room? Please NO!

Fiona0
Level 5

I can't see how this helps guests with small children as the upshot will be that more hosts will apply a 'no children' rule and even less listings will be available to families.

Maria167
Level 2

There is a HUGE difference between an infant riding free in an aircraft for a few hours on the lap of an adult and a child free in a home.  I am a foster parent and have had up to four infant/toddlers at a time in my home -- my waste quadrupled, my cleaning time quadrupled, my electricity and water needs quadrupled.  No way are infants free.  And I also agree with the occupancy -- I cannot have more than six people on my property TOTAL, so what happens when all of the infants arrive?

Until this has been figured out, I have switched my property to 'no infants'.

It's impossible, hosts will never accept such bookings.

Julie364
Level 2

I am so upset about this change.  Airbnb needs to quit changing the rules without consulting the hosts.  I will either reject anyone with infants on the  and will add the comments above about everyone counting towards the costs.  

As others have said, the impact of an infant can be huge: diapers, finger prints everywhere if they are learing to walk/ crawling everywhere.