Government laws and tax section

Government laws and tax section

When our government (I'm from Montreal) attacked Uber, we heard a lot about how the company was trying to stay and survive.

I do not hear anything from Airbnb and it's going hot in here regarding the hotel lobby against this site. I fear I will have to stop hosting because the new laws are too harsh and won't bring any advantage for me to host. 

Why Airbnb is silent about this ? I would like updates from the company and hear about the means she's taking to discuss and find a solution with the government from the city/country in question.

Airbnb should design a tax section so guest could pay the taxes for the hosts when booking. 

That way, some less honest hosts wouldn't be able to go under the table and not charge for the taxes, thus, be able to put lower prices.

5 Comments
Olga53
Level 1

Totally agree. I have been using my spare guest bedroom for AirBnb for the last couple of months but fear to continue as well as the new regulations are strict and unclear at the same time. Do I really have to get a hotel permit to rent a spare bedroom in an apartment? The new law does not clearly specify who are occasional renters vs professional ones are. I find AirBnB is making it sound all really attractive in order to attaract more hosts but completely washes their hands when it comes to local legislation. Links on Quebec section of Help Center lead to home page of Revenue Quebec (?). You must be kidding me. Some support on that end would be greatly appreciated. 

Anne22
Level 2

The new law doesn't differiencate owners from renters from subrenters.

The new law doesn't differiencate between someone making a living out of multiple renting (which should be banned on Airbnb) and a owner renting one room.

The new law doesn't differiencate between someone leaving multiple rooms all year long and fully booked and someone leaving one room all year long, but only accepts from time to time. 

So let's say I own my house and I live in it full time. I could get the same punishment as someone  subrenting multiple appartments without the concent of buildings's owner.

Let's say I let my calendar open all year long (because I don't know exactly when I'll be able to welcome guests), I could get the same punishment as someone making a living out of Airbnb because he accepts guests all year long, looking to be 100% booked.

The permit for renting doesn't make the difference so it costs so much one year of Airbnb won't be able to pay the one year permit. And I have to add many other fees to comply to the law and insurance. 

My husband and I are already talking about leaving Airbnb.

Kim87
Level 10

Yes Anne, we should put our efforts togheter, airbnb should help. This bill has so many flaws, it doesn't make sense. An airbnb host who wants to pay taxe d'hébergement, impôts and be legit is not allowed to. This law doesn't protect owners, renters or hosts. It only protects hotel lobby.

Kim126
Level 2

Bloomington, Mn is sending out zoning violations every time anyone lists a property on Airbnb.  They are actually trying to make a code that it is illegal to post on Airbnb!

I am currently unemployed and wish I had a home in a approved Airbnb area to help pay my mortgage.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived