Guest preferences to match guests with hosts

Guest preferences to match guests with hosts

Hi! I've been hosting for a while and I've learned that some people are a great fit for my airbnb and some are not. I think it would be helpful for guests to include more information about themselves, their preferences, and what they're looking for in a stay so that everyone can be happy. For example, if you are a person that likes freezing cold temperatures and the A/c blasting all night, you should probably stay in a hotel or a place where you can control the thermostat and not someone's home. If you are a vegetarian, you may not want to stay in a meat eater's house. 

Maybe a place to start would be with the basics. favorite breakfast, sleep patterns

Molly likes: soft pillows, coffee with cream, sleeping in, movies

Molly could do without: barking dogs, the smell of bacon, clutter, the heat

As I'm writing this, I realize there is a potential to negatively characterize someone by their likes or dislikes. I'm sure there must be a way to cast a positive light on someone's preferences without running the risk of sounding like a dating app!

3 Comments
Gina32
Level 10

I think it really is an education issue for guests who are choosing to even contemplate staying in someone's home with them. If you the host say enough about yourself , your expectations and your house rules, said potential guest should be able to guage if they would like to stay with you. You as host should not have to change the way you live in your own home just because the guest does not like the way you like the temperature or your love of particular food.

Yes not all people are suited to staying in other peoples homes - they should definately choose a hotel instead, but they are still flocking in, like moths to a flame, because it is cheaper to stay in your home.

Cormac0
Level 10

@Laurie116

This used to be covered by a thing called Good Manners, where people staying in someone’s home would except the prevailing conditions, unfortunately Airbnb has evolved into something else and is still evolving, the trend is towards hotel style standards and expectations at bargain basement prices for at least 80% of the Hosts.

Regards

Cormac

Terri38
Level 10

@Cormac0I agree.  I recently had a guest (delicately phrased review left) who was an experienced host (remotely) and seasoned traveller.  She was very quick to inform me that she was only drying her dishes "Because you asked me to.  But using a tea towel is very unhygeinic and you can't even get the dishes dry."  Then promply demonstrated that the bowls were still damp after using the tea towel.  Um... maybe if you used HOT water..?!