Guest profile picture(s)

Guest profile picture(s)

According to Airbnb, when registering with Airbnb, the minimum requirements are a profile picture, phone number, email address and payment information. A home host like myself can require government ID, which I do. Then why is it that requests come to me from a dog with a hat on, someone facing a mountain with there arms in the air, a picture of there tattooed bicep, etc. Is it not Airbnb's responsibility to screen this registration process? I do not believe it is a hosts job to direct them to fix their picture!  This is a safety issue. I'm sure if their credit card did not go through they would be all over it. We have been discussing this issue for 3 years, its time to fix the screening process!

14 Comments
Diana103
Level 6

I agree, it is a safety issue.  I want to make sure I give the key to the correct guest.  Plus  I worry that the rest of Airbnb’s verification process may not be followed and perhaps the government ID was not verified

Jeanne117
Level 1

I fully agree with the last two comments and commenters.

Debi-and-Matt0
Level 2

Totally agree. How am I supposed to know when this person shows up if it is the actual guest that booked? Isn't this a good way to for one to basically book someone's place for someone else? How does a host know that if there is a picture of a dog with a hat, the person that is showing up at YOUR HOUSE is the actual person that booked?!?! That is something that I have always noticed that is INSANE. 

Sally176
Level 2

I've had guests post their high school photos and they were in their 50's. I too have had guests already booked with unacceptable photos. It is a safety issue for me. Airbnb is letting too many things fall through the cracks.

Chien0
Level 2

I think AirBnB only requires those things to be verified. Once that is done, the guest can delete whatever they don’t want on their profile. Including their own picture. I had a guest last year who used a nick name on their AirBNB profile. So when he arrived and showed his ID, my people wouldn’t let him check in because the name on his ID didn’t match the name on the reservation. It was a whole big thing. 

Lida10
Level 2

I totally agree that it's a safety issue. I think government ID should be mandatory for all guests who want to book on airbnb. I have too many guests with random pictures and no verification what so ever trying to book my place and it's not cool.

This is a major issue and let's hope it doesn't take some terrible event to happen before Airbnb takes notice and does something. This was also one of the questions asked about during the recent global Q & A with Brian Chesky where his response was totally underwhelming.

Mandy89
Level 3

100% agree.  I've gotten requests from people who have had masks on.  If they had to have a selfie match the Gov't ID , then how was this possible to fly.  It makes me not trust the verification process, and then I feel like if I say no, I will get dinged for denying people. 

Roman64
Level 2

Airbnb need to moderate profile picture every time they changed it. I mean really START MODERATING EVERYTHING also as reviews. Start adding level for guests exactly as you doing this in this community. 

Tamara53
Level 4

I have noticed an increasing number of inquiries and requests from new guests with no profile pictures. I even had one guest inquire under the profile of a different guest. The names weren't the same. It's frustrating to try and make a personal connection with potential guests when they won't share their own picture and/or give any information regarding their group or reasons for visiting. I thought that part of the personal home sharing platform was to encourage sense of community.