Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to review should have their review by their host cancelled on `cutt-off` day 14. It is unfair that hard working hosts are deprived of reviews and a guest who has been too lazy to submit their review should end up with a nice `inbox` full of reviews. PLEASE Aibnb change this!  I have noticed that contact phone numbers of guests are now immediately removed upon check-out so it is impossible to send a guest a reminder about sumbitting their review when day 14 looms!  

Response from Airbnb

Reviews are central to Airbnb. We definitely agree that more reviews are better. Last year we explored the potential of incentivizing guests to respond to reviews. In this test we provided travel coupons as the reward. We found, surprisingly, that this did not increase the review rate. The biggest impact we have found so far on increasing guest review rate is to shorten the review process and notify or remind guests to leave reviews through additional channels.  For example, we found that hosts receive more reviews if they send their guest a message requesting one. We do not have plans to make major adjustments to the review process at the moment.

63 Comments
Lilian13
Level 2

I totally agree with you Gillian. It is very unfair.

Gillian15
Level 4

Work my butt off....love my business but if a guest fails to review I feel gutted. 97% of my guests do review but those others who don`t....cheese me off BIG TIME......Airbnb, the system needs a change in favour of the host!

Andrea9
Level 10
There are so many new guests on the system now who don't really care how reviews really support one another. They don't like writing reviews, and only want cheap accommodations. This has happened to me quite a bit these last months and because of it I may not be able to keep my SH status after almost 2 yrs straight despite working really hard for it and my guests.
Sandra126
Level 10

It used to be that when one party didn't review, the other review didn't show. This is a really bad idea as a guest who was messy for instance didn't leave a review, as it would spare them from sporting a bad review themselves. MUCH better now. I had a messy (but nice) guest who I left a review for, she didn't leave me one but on the day after 14 days ended she sent me a message saying ''she forgot to write one, but it is the best place they have ever stayed''. Well, she just read the review I wrote and it wasn't a disaster. I wish she had written me one but she didn't know the new system was in place. With the old system, ''bad'' guests don't get reviews as they don't write them.

Much better now.

And some guests just don't write reviews, it is how it is! Even really nice ones.

Sue---Ian0
Level 2

@Gillian15

Agreed!

Just thinking - Maybe it's not always intentional (?)

We had a very nice guest for an extended stay, who left a charming reply to our review of her as a guest.... the problem being that she did not leave a review against our listing.

Gillian15
Level 4

PLEASE AIRBNB !!!!!!!! Change the isue of guests not submitting their reviews by day 14 ASAP! REMOVE the host`s review if the guest does not review. Do you have ANY idea how much effort, love, dedication  and hard work goes into hosting if one is a dedicated host, like me and many others? This is not a game, it`s a business! This aspect of your Airbnb policy really is very unfair towards us hard working hosts. I have recently had guests who did not bother to review. I am super host and received this status through sheer dedication and hard work.  We all NEED our reviews!

Come on Airbnb....listen to your hosts .......we are the ones who generate your money, so you can have a job and have an awsome business. It`s about caring & sharing, not so? So please care about your hosts and take note of their grievances!   

Andrea9
Level 10
@Gillian0, I hear you and agree in probably most cases. Consider also though, that in cases where a bad guest was reviewed accordingly to warn other hosts, but in which guest didn't review host, this proposal would in fact be a rather more detrimental one than a good one.
Sandra126
Level 10

Agree strongly with Andrea, why remove the host review because guest doesn't leave one? Doesn't work. Leave it as is, it won't make guests leave reviews, I promise.

Some of my happiest guests have not left reviews. It is how it is, you will have other guests.

Helen56
Level 10

I take the time to review  all my guests, and would not want these reviews taken down just because a guest didn't review me.  So what if they can't be bothered.  And as mentioned above, a guest would then know that if they were messy, noisy, horrible guests... all they would have to do to avoid a bad review would be to not leave one for the host.  Bad idea!!

Martin119
Level 3

Write a review you can stand behind, and don't sweat it when there is no review from the guest. Some guests may intend to write it, then procrastinate, and finally forget about it. There are worse things that can happen to you in the hosting business.

And exactely for this reason it is important to write a guest review and have it shown on the guest's profile.