Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to submit a review. The system needs to be changed in favor of the host!

Guests who do not bother to review should have their review by their host cancelled on `cutt-off` day 14. It is unfair that hard working hosts are deprived of reviews and a guest who has been too lazy to submit their review should end up with a nice `inbox` full of reviews. PLEASE Aibnb change this!  I have noticed that contact phone numbers of guests are now immediately removed upon check-out so it is impossible to send a guest a reminder about sumbitting their review when day 14 looms!  

Response from Airbnb

Reviews are central to Airbnb. We definitely agree that more reviews are better. Last year we explored the potential of incentivizing guests to respond to reviews. In this test we provided travel coupons as the reward. We found, surprisingly, that this did not increase the review rate. The biggest impact we have found so far on increasing guest review rate is to shorten the review process and notify or remind guests to leave reviews through additional channels.  For example, we found that hosts receive more reviews if they send their guest a message requesting one. We do not have plans to make major adjustments to the review process at the moment.

63 Comments
Christine1
Level 10

Hi people. It is disappointing to read so many posts from disheartened and misinformed hosts. 

Why should anyone write a review?  Hosts got paid by the guests. They owe nothing more. A review from a guest is bonus feedback. Delughtful most of hhe time but a bonus nonetheless. Free tuition quite often too. Because we may read something from which we can learn.

Set a tariff you are happy with. Do only what you are content to do for your guests because it is part of your self expression. Offer freely because you would enjoy whatever you are offering to do or provide. Avoid focusing or working for a good review or written praise or proof of your excellence. It is not a healthy mindset to be seeking written reviews as a reward. Some hosts seem to drive themselves crazy and destroy the opportunity for their own genuine enjoyment in hosting. Just be yourself. Look after your guests. Be nice to them. Be helpful with information and advice. Provide service in keeping  with your accomodation.  Beyond that do that which you enjoy and avoid trying to such up to your guests or try to live up to a fantasy image of the worlds best host. Just try to enjoy yourself and assist your guests to have a safe enjoyable stay. Going beyond this in the hope of eliciting a golden review will surely lead to burnout and resentment.  

Besides syncopatic behaviour is not genuine and makes people uncomfortable and they are far less likely to write you a review. How easy is it to say positive things about somone you think was being fake nice to you.......? It's  not. 

Not every guests wants to leave an open digital trail of their travels on  the internet. No matter how nice we might be. Try not to take it so personally. And don't take people shopping unless you want to go out with them... it's  ok to say no. But if you say yes then make sure you really mean it. 

I do stacks of different things with or for my guests the majority of them don't get a mention at all in my reviews. That's the way I want it to be and if I sense that certain things might get mentioned at times I specifically request that guests refrain from detailing these things in any review as I don't want to create extra expectations for future guests.

Do what you enjoy and the reviews and financial rewards will follow.

And please read the review guidelines and policies as many of you seem to  have the wrong idea about a few things in this area. Plus the original purpose of reviews is to inform. Not punishment or rewards. ( so now I can hear the replies... but .... Airbnb.....expectations and ratings.... in a round about way that's another topic)

I want to cheer you up,  it's sad to hear you so glum... 

;x

Nikolina8
Level 2

Well said Christine.  Thank you from a host in California.

Christine1
Level 10

Oh thanks @Nikolina8

Did you like my typo's too?

That's  the beauty of me and my phone.

We write so well together. 

I was so tempted to edit my errors.

But then again ..... I will just pour myself another cup of tea. 

😊