HOSTS BEWARE!!!

HOSTS BEWARE!!!

Hey guys, I am getting on here (the community forums) to warn all of my fellow hosts NOT to depend on AirBnB every paying you, or getting your guest to pay you, for ANY damage they cause, or losses you incur as a result of hosting someone. I recently had an absolute NIGHTMARE experince with a guest, which was the second worst experience I've had since I started hosting a year ago, but second only to the way in which AirBnB has handled the situation. I followed ALL of the procedures and rules, submitted the receipts and estimates for the damaged items and furnishings, and although AirBnB was in constant communication with me throughout the process, as soon as I submitted the documentation for payment, THEY'VE COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED ON ME!! I mean I can't even get them to answer an email about my situation! It's terrible. And I'm a SUPER HOST!!! I have literally never received a review that was less than 5 stars, in ANY category, EVER!! And continue to perform at that level for this ungrateful company, who btw was supposed to and has always assured me that my homes, the homes that i've invested tens of thousands of dollars in renovating and maintaining just to make AirBnB look so good, would be insured against exactly such an event. THINK AGAIN HOSTS!! AIRBNB DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU WHATSOEVER!! They've completely turned their backs on me. I've made countless attempts, after submitting the receipts and invoices, to contact them by phone at the number provided to super hosts, and they either tell me "someone will reach back out to you from the resolutions department within the next 24 hours", OR, "sorry, that's a differnt department that cannot be reached by phone so you need to send them an email". AGAIN!! And as I've mentioned, I've sent no less than 20 by now. ALL OF WHICH HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY IGNORED! Mind you i'm not talking about a few hundred dollars in damage here either. Not that I wouldn't want that paid for just the same. But the damage caused by this guest was so severe, the general contractors alone have quoted me anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000 to make the necessary repairs! Money I already spent to have all of this work done to the unit when I did the original renovations. It is also worth noting that I documented everything very carefully with pictures, detailed emails, messages to and from the guests (using the AirBnB messaging system, very important for you hosts to know, ALWAYS document your dialog with guests thru the app or website messenger) both during and after the guest's stay, but none of that seems to matter anymore. As soon as I submitted the required evidence of damage, and  more importantly the costs necessary to remedy the issue, AirBnB completely deserted me. It's absolutely abhorent that a company this large, who I've made so much money for in just the past year, not to mention surely helped grow their customer base given my stellar reviews (literally 100% 5 star reviews across the board for all of my listings, feel free to check), would outright ignore a host and essentially flip the bird to me when I've incurred thousands of dollars in losses as a result of one of THEIR guests they sent to stay in my home. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS! 

7 Comments
Marj2
Level 4

I'm so sorry this happened and it's not the first time I'm hearing this. AirBnB, as a fellow Superhost, I am highly disturbed to hear this, repeatedly and gives me pause to continue hosting on your platform. Please advise. 

Clark2
Level 1

Sorry to hear this.  Airbnb is notorious for poor customer service.   They owe me a lot of money.  I use them (along with others) still because I'm "using" them and making my money back directly from them a little bit at a time.  It's a shame they weren't more respectable and I could have a good relationship with them.  They will be their own downfall.  Poor management!

Deborah1
Level 10

go on facebook or twitter. Seems the public complaint gets attention. Hope it works out for you! 

Donna240
Level 10

It appears that all hosts should be put on notice to purchase short term rental insurance. I don't know why so many hosts complain of not being reimbursed by Airbnb when they have put in all the required documentation, but it apparently happens. What I do know is that many of my fellow hosts in San Francisco showed proof of property insurance, a requirement) to the city when they applied for the required license, but my insurance carrier told me that my homeowners insurance will never cover any claim made on damage caused by a short term renter, because accepting money creates a business transaction and my homeowner insurance is for personal property. I've even been taxed on furnishings in my rented portion of the house by the city and it is considered business property, even though I use the space myself, for the greater portion of the year.

Donna240
Level 10

@Samuel145, this is a rough situation for you, and even though I never expected to be more than an income source for any short term rental site, I feel for you. Did your guest bring a sledge hammer on vacation. I'm dizzy just thinking of all the ways someone could do that much damage and it's obvious it's much more than one issue, but multiple issues.

I checked your first listing because the minute I saw your location, I kept thinking of kids on Spring break, but that couldn't be it since you have a 2-3 person limit and not enough beds for a college hoard to descend upon your property like a locust plague.

Did Airbnb at least release your entire security deposit? Are you on Instant Booking? Do you have anyone local who looks in on guests and cohosts with you? I am of the opinion that guests behave when you are on site, but do not when they can let themselves in and know the owner is out of town. Your profile tells them that.

If it makes you feel any better, my neighbor has a worse story. He decided to try short term renting when he went on a trip to Europe last year. 2 young men rented the flat for the month and prepaid, so things were looking good. When he arrived home, he found his apartment had been stripped of all his furniture, electronics, everything!!! He only found heroin needles and garbage strewn on the floor....Lordy, I wonder what happened to his claim! I rhetorically asked how they could have afforded the rent money and recieved "the look" from my husband who responded, " From the sale of everything in the last apartment they rented."

Clark2
Level 1

My situation was different.  I tried to book an Airbnb rental and it turned out to be a fraudulant host so airbnb canceled my stay and refunded my money.   That's actually the good part of the story and where the good part ends!!!     Then for no reason what so ever airbnb locked my account for over a week.  Not just keeping me from finding a new place to rent, but also my 7 or 8 listings.  Thus I lost an unknown amount of revenue during that blackout period, the cost of where I was going had gone up and I paid more for my stay, and I spent countless hours on the phone being lied to by airbnb regarding my situation!   End result airbnb doesn't care, I lose out and the most they lost was some handle time in thier contact center.  Oh, and yes I did the tweet thing.  That was actually the only way they would respond to me.  What **bleep**ty customer service.  You have to contact them the way they want to be contacted!!

Lisa778
Level 2

So sorry about this situation, Samuel! It certainly sounds as if you jumped through all of the necessary hoops. Please update us as to how it's going now.