Host Cancellation

Host Cancellation

There are times in which the host agrees that the guest desire to cancel is acceptable to the host.  The host is wanting the guest to feel good about Air BNB and does not want the guest to be penalized.  However, currently Air BNB contacts the host on behalf of the guest asking if the host agrees with the cancellation.  Trying to be understanding, the host agrees to the cancellation and is then subject to penalties of host cancellation.  The dates are blocked.  Why would this be the outcome of a mutual agreement between guest and host?  I suggest Air BNB to either not penalize the host for the cancellation or at very least warn the host that agreeing to the guest cancellation results in the dates being blocked.

9 Comments
Robin4
Level 10

Since the moment we first heard about this 'questionable' tactic on the part of Airbnb we have felt disappointed and very let down by the very company who is supposed to support us. Guests are flocking to Airbnb in increasing numbers and it is because of the wonderful job that is being done around the world by hosts that is seeing this increase. You only have to ask every guest why they came to Airbnb and, to a person, they will tell you it is because they expect more value and a friendlier experience....and this has nothing to do with Airbnb...it has everything to do with their hosts! We provide that environment, and we deserve to be treated better than this. Good on you @Linda108...you have my full backing and I hope that of countless other hosts.

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

I agree completely - if that happened to me I would be very upset!

I don't get why hosts would be punished like that for working with the guest to assure the guest is happy.  People are human and they make mistakes - especially guests!  When an honest mistake is made and guest/host are able to work it out - what's the big deal?  Airbnb still get their fees and guests get their refund - why do hosts have to pay by having calendar blocked and disqualified for superhost for it when nobody is harmed?

Tania55
Level 1

I had a guest that booked for five weeks and paid instantly.  The booking was made for one person only however when I read the email there were a group of three people coming.  I went into the booking and made an alteration from one guest to 3 guests and of course there was a change in the rates. I sent the alteration to my guest and they declined the change. The guest said that he didn't think it was fair that I would change the payment .  I explained to the guest that if three people were coming and they were for one person then it would be cheaper by far then a backpacker hostel where they would be sharing a room with a number of other people.  Being new to airbnb  I cancelled the booking as per the guests wishes.  Now I have five complete weeks blocked out of my calendar which I can't change and I can't receive a booking for.  Nor is there a contact number or email for airbnb  in which I can discuss this issue and mistake that I have made.   I find this outrageous and think Airbnb need to remedy this immediately. In closing I will be very very very careful about processing a cancellation in the future.  For the moment I will now need to join other websites like stays.com.are you in order to generate an income for that period .  PS the iPad I am using is making it very difficult not to include typos .

Linda261
Level 2

I have a guest due to arrive on Oct. 21 for a 2 night stay. However for the first time since I have been hosting, I have not received a single communication from the guest. She has ignored all of my texts/emails (4). This makes me feel very uncomfortable about hosting her and was considering cancelling her reservation, but do not want to be charged. What do I do.

Andrea9
Level 10
It is sneaky and unprofessional to implement changes with major impact and not draw attention to them beforehand. Instead of sending an email about every so-called improvement, please at least give hosts the dirt on things that will seriously impact them.
Sandra126
Level 10

The wording needs to say something like: ''If you agree to cancel your guest, the usual penalties will be applied. Do you want to proceed with the cancellation?''

About time someone said something about this dubious practice! Thanks Linda.

Raghu0
Level 2
Status changed to: Archived

Sharon139
Level 1

im in the same situation and trying to contact airbnb to change this but they wont let me. how do i contact them in australia? i may stop using airbnb as i have wasted too much time trying to fix this and they are not responsive.

Robin4
Level 10

@Sharon139   In answer to Sharon, the Airbnb contact phone number in Australia is (per head of population) a significantly more asked question than it appears to be anywhere else in the world. Is it just that hosts in this country can't be bothered looking?? There is always something else to blame for this information not being at hand.

I would have thought that others would have done as I, and many other hosts did, when they started to host.....make sure they have contact details if there should be a problem.

I know, I am getting frustrated with answering this question day after day after day and getting no acknowledgement...the posts with 02 8520 3333 have become so routine that I am at the point of not bothering to respond any more.....and that is not fair to the person enquiring, but I wish newer hosts would spend some time to familiarise themselves with the basics like....

Accepting or declining a booking request!

The difference between an enquiry and a reservation request.

Cancellation of a reservation!

Payment for a hosting.

Setting a security deposit.

Resolving a damge claim with the Resolution Centre!

HOW DO I CONTACT AIRBNB!!!

All of these topics are covered in the 'Help' section on the listing page and have been further covered many hundreds of times in the Community Forum.

Just in case Sharon missed it earlier in this post the Airbnb contact phone number in Australia is 02 85203333! 

@Linda108 I am disappointed, as I am sure you are, that you have not received more thumbs up for your post. It is a serious issue and one that is affecting many hosts. I would have expected many more hosts to have got behind this post of yours instead of sitting on their hands.

Cheers....Rob