House Rule settings for children/infants are misleading

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

House Rule settings for children/infants are misleading

Under the House Rules settings, if a host selects NO to either or both of the settings concerning suitabilty for children (one for ages 2-12 and the other for ages 0-2), that clearly indicates that the property is NOT suitable for those ages. However, on the listing page itself, which guests see, the rule reads "MAY not be suitable..." (emphasis mine). This is 100% incorrect and is highly misleading.

The fix for this is incredibly simple, not involving the underlying code logic, but some simple text edits. Simply delete the word "May", change the first letter of "not" to uppercase, and delete the word "be". Done! Of course, I suppose the identical fix might have to be made in three separate locations, which is still not all that hard.

By the way, fellow hosts, if this affects your listing, PLEASE click the Thumbs-Up button. If this item doesn't receive the required number of "votes", then it will be "archived" by AirBnB. ("Archived" means it will be removed from here and ignored.)

5 Replies 5
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Miriam87
Level 3
Asheville, NC

I agree.  I don't know why Airbnb would ignore when a host clearly clicks "No" on suitability of their property for infants or children, changing it to "May not be suitable."  This is annoying for hosts, who must spend time explaining to potential guests just why their property is not suitable, and also trying to explain why they just couldn't click "No."  Not to mention highly frustrating for potential guests with infants or children who have then wasted time inquiring about a property that is not suitable for their needs.  The worst is when someone puts in a reservation request instead of an inquiry, then the host must either decline the reservation or accept the infant/child.

Why can't Airbnb just fix this? Is it a legal question?

Airbnb is a money machine.

They want to make money. 

This is the reason why they put hosts into this dilemma.

The more we host the more they earn.

The community of trust is long gone.

Tony-and-Liza0
Level 3
Lake View, NY

We would like Airbnb to remove the word MAY with regard to the language "May not be suitable for children" as there is so much confusion for both host and guest. We don't discriminate, we love children! Our home and property is simply not safe for small folks, period.

Having to explain to a guest (especially after they have instant booked our listing AND all are excited about the trip) that the language is not our host language but that belonging to Airbnb is uncomfortable for both parties.

Hosts absolutely do not want to say No, we want to say Yes, that's why we like to host. 

It's a terrible thing for a host, we are 'encouraged' to use the Instant Book feature because our listings will be better promoted and yet we have no clear way of telling a guest that they can not visit because our home is not suitable for children.

We had our first long term (7 nights) booking for next week only to have the guest cancel last evening because they 'misunderstood' the language. It was awful! We feel bad for them and we're quite sure they're not thinking much of us or Airbnb right now.  

Even hospitality industry standards allow only up to 2 children under age 12 to share a room with parents!

I would like Airbnb to give us an example of a hotel or reference of the hospitality standard they are referring to that allows up to 5 infants (age 0~2) in one room with 1~2 adults for free.