‘House Rules’ = ‘Host Terms and Conditions’

‘House Rules’ = ‘Host Terms and Conditions’

I really think the house rules section should be changed to Terms and Conditions and written something along the lines of ‘The Terms and Conditions for booking Jan’s listing, or listing title are’.  It sounds more professional and is less patronising; I feel guests might take ‘terms and conditions’ more seriously than a set of ‘house rules’. 

Before payment is taken, a message in bold or capitals could be presented to the guest asking them to read and agree to ‘Jan’s/title of listing terms and conditions’ and ask them to check a tick box, I also think the deposit value should be added to the bottom of this section with a warning that any damage to the property, or breaking of the terms may result in loss of the deposit.  Adding the hosts name, or property title to the terms and conditions makes clearer to guests that each host/property has a unique set of rules attached and mentioning the deposit gives the impression the terms and conditions are taken seriously.

I’ve been having a difficult time recently with guests who completely ignore my house rules and I have suffered damage as a result, I’m considering removing my listing as the risks are not worth it.  I’ve tried to combat this by adjusting my rules but I think having a long list of what begin to sound like petty rules, is off-putting to the majority of people who are respectful, however guests who ignore rules are not affected so book anyway.

11 Comments
Kelly149
Level 10

@Jan12 Jan, guests may have ignored your rules bc (as I have recently discovered) on a mobile device the guest must "agree" to rules BUT these rules are hidden behind a "see more" button. If they do not click the link then they can Agree to your rules without ever even seeing them. 

I will be reseeding my Rules list to all confirmed reservations until this glitch is fixed. (My rules also have a "answer this question section" so that I can tell if they read or if they just blindly clicked agree). 

BTW, I like your name change suggestion. 

Gina32
Level 10

@Kelly @Jan12 

Kelly what you say is absolutely correct.

I have a curent guest who although he says he read the rules does not know what they are. I have them plastered on the fridge and I think when I pointed them out to him, along with the safety info etc, he hadn't read them before.

The previous guest was the same. Had booked from a mobile device.

Had not read the "more" part of anything, including the how to find me, which gives explicit driving instructions. My neighbours had to rescue him while he was driving up the footpath, or for those in America the "sidewalk".

ABB need to rethink how they are actually going to educate guests into being able to read.

I had a recent enquiry who wanted to "gather a group of family for a dinner/party".....Excuse me but have you read my House rules?

No Parties or Events.

I did not even get a reply....no manners.

There are many challenges to being a host.

Jan12
Level 3

@Gina32 @Kelly149 Thanks Ladies for your feedback,

It concerns me that in the last six months or so, guest expectations have changed considarably, I think some of this is due to false expectations given by Airbnb.  I'm not sure many guests understand the time, effort and expense that had been put in by Hosts.  Some of the guests I've had recently have treated me and my place as though they are doing me a huge favour and therefore I should allow them to do as they please, I've had damage that has counteracted any earnings I've made, especially when time and other expenses such as provisions are factored in to the final fee.  

Airbnb do need to address this and somehow emphasise to guests that they are staying in somebody's valued home which is not an alternative to a cheap hostel, otherwise there is no incentive for hosts with nice places to list on Airbnb.

You both have very nice places BTW.

Best wishes

Jan

Anne355
Level 5

200% agree.

Especially when your "particular rules" are "no more than x babies because I cannot fit more than x

(hosts, please notice that as many as 5 babies may accompany each of your guests ... yet I guess <1% of you really do have 5 baby beds available at one time.

Hosts, you dont't trust me? well just go ask your own listing for one adult and 5 babies.

... so...  you dont have 5 baby beds nor some spare space? neither do I.

But just know that any kindergarden can have its summer class at your place. ;(

Maybe you wouold like to put 'no more tha 1-2 babies at one time' as a rule, however you'll put that in the section no one reads. ... and any host I know would like to put that in a publicly readable section (like prereservation rules/gerenal rules)

Of course there is more than that (number of babies). Problems are regional and seasonal, surely hosts can deal with that kind of problems from their own eperience. But they should be able to mention as "absolute" or "golden" rules,

worth the same as Aribnb's.

Rachel33
Level 2

@Jan12, Totally agree, no one read the 'House Rules". 

I am getting tired of having to put signs up everywhere to remind guests about the house rules - any they even take no notice of the signs. 😞

Kel-And-Steven0
Level 2

We've run into this as well.

We have addressed it in this way --

We removed "Instant Book" from our listings. Then, when the potential guest sends a Request to Book message, we reply that in order for us to confirm their booking, we need them to answer 2 questions that can be found in the House Rules.

The questions vary, but are basic things like, "Where should you leave your shoes?" or "What are the cats' names?" or "When are quiet hours?"

It forces the potential guest to go read the rules, and gives you a bit more "ammunition" if there's a problem later.

Abenaa0
Level 2

Not only read house rules but AIRBNB needs to have hosts backs on enforcing security deposit if terms are violated.

I had a guest I am in resolution with who violated my rules an extra person and Infant. Admitted to doing so and refuses to pay and is threatening me with a poor review All because he didn't read my host rules or listing carefully. 

It needs to be clear that these are TERMS  and not rules that can be broken and just swept under the rug. I hate Airbnb for this reason.  

Jan12
Level 3

I had a guest recently who stated to me when he arrived 'I haven't read the rules, just tell me what I need to do', he laughed at the idea of 'rules' and said 'I don't really follow rules'.  Luckily he was a great guest and a really respectful person so it wasn't a problem, however, I think this is how most guests view 'rules'.  I don't really want to go through a list of my own expectations when a guest has just arrived, as I think it gets things off on the wrong foot.  I think the term 'house rules' sounds outdated and petty, I think it needs changing to something sounding more professional and enforcable, if things go wrong.

Cormac0
Level 10

@Jan12

All changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

W.B.Yeats.

The bubble that Airbnb is a community of Hosts must at this stage be completely burst. It has been replaced by a ruthlessly efficient money collecting machine that subordinates the wrights of its Hosts to Airbnb's form of governance.

A governance that is overseen by staff that are ill equipped to be making the decision they are allowed to make, which are final and irreversible.

Host are getting a raw deal from Airbnb.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Edwin57
Level 10

words do make a difference and you are right thanks for shareing