I'm an Airbnb host/traveller not a guest house or a hotel!

Maria571
Level 1
Altamura, Italy

I'm an Airbnb host/traveller not a guest house or a hotel!

In the last 3 months I have received a few booking requests. Unfortunately, these prospective guests, mainly from the surrounding area in Italy, were looking for long-term accomodation because they got a job/internship in the town where I live. It was quite annoying when they asked to come and see the place or to negotiate the rate privately in order to avoid paying service fees thinking that

1) my place is a hotel/guesthouse/B&B

2) it doesn't make a difference if you host a traveller or a student/professional if you want to make some petty cash.

Well, the idea of home sharing is what I like about airbnb and the reason I joined years ago. I'm not interested in how much money I make. It's sharing I like.I think airbnb should make sure that hotels/Guesthouses/B&Bs are listed as such and pay a commision to airbnb like they do to booking.com or similar. 

Also, it would be useful to have clear, separate listings for professionals/students looking for accomodation on the cheap and travellers/tourists. They are obviously very different clients, with different needs and expectations.

It has happened to me in the past: I booked a place in a lovely town thinking I was going to stay with locals, but I end it up in a hotel. It can be quite disappointing. The other way round: I get excited when I get a request,but I feel bad when I can't accept because the accomodation I provide isn't suitable for a non-traveller.

Airbnb should think of ways to select different airbnb users, understand their needs and offer suitable, affordable accomodation. 

Looking forward to hearing your views on this,

Thanks

2 Replies 2
Stephan2
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.