Included the star system into the guest review

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

Included the star system into the guest review

We found a bit frustrated that hosts cant see the star rating for the guest.

We do believe that Airbnb will not go throught this step as hosts may not accept some guests and it will push them to behave...

Some guests are very likeable however they do not respect the house rules.

For us this is the most important information, knowing if guests are respecting the house rules.

Before accepting any booking we always ask to guests to familiarize themselves with the house rules and ensure  they are okay with its.

Maybe hosts should start to rate the guests at this end of their written reviews to give more information to this other hosts.

Something like " XXX is polite and friendly. Communication***, cleanless *****, respect of the house rules ****"

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading us!

8 Replies 8

I don't know why Airbnb are so resistant to this idea. Uber does it. Maybe because Airbnb thinks the guests (the demand section of Airbnb as opposed to us suppliers) will be annoyed or put out.

I think it's a great idea. I personally take reviews with a pinch of salt as some hosts (even many, if the forum is anything to go by) bend over backwards not to give bad reviews for fear of retaliation, it seems that giving any detail is enough for Airbnb to delete the review as too personal. Most bad reviews are thus very bland and generalized, for good cause, so as not to be deleted by Airbnb. So what's a host to do!

At the very least hosts should be able to see the star ratings of a guest for each category they are rated on, if deemed by Airbnb to be too sensitive for its brand,  just don't make it accessible to the general public.

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

I think they should either remove it or show it. It's a waste of time to make hosts rate their guests by stars if these do nothing! I agree with Ange, if this could create issues then starts could be seen only by hosts who receive inquiries from the guest. 

Or, what a great idea Carl & Elodie! We should all add it on our ratings. Suggest this on the host and new host forum, maybe this will catch on among hosts.

Regards

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I got a few absolutely crazy ratings over the years and many fantastic descriptions with lower stars. Hosts will rate just as subjective, unpredictable and sometimes crazy. 
As guests get fewer reviews, it may take years to bring the average rating back to normal after one fluke.  A crazy rating, seen as a personal insult, may deter them from ever using airbnb again. 
I suppose the publicly invisible ratings have an influence if there is a dispute between a guest and a host. If the guest got mostly low star reviews and the host mostly good ones, customer service can take it as a hint concerning their respective credibility.
I'm opposed to seing the stars and I would even say, airbnb should censor the often proposed workaround of writing them in the text. It's a bit ridiculous anyway: if you do not dare to describe in full in which way the guest offended you and which rule they broke, it does not shed a good light on your courage, that you write a meaningless low star number at the end.
Imagine: if you write: "the guest smoked in his room", I may not book him. If you write "the guest ignored my quiet hours and sang under the shower at 9:30pm" I may think that funny and book him. If you write "nice guy, house rules 3*": what do I do with that non-information? Write back and forth with the guest to find out, why you wrote that? Receive him with negative anticipations, ruining the stay for both of us?

Melissa40
Level 3
South Lake Tahoe, CA

I love the idea of putting stars in the reviews! Here is are actual stars  ★★★★★  just copy/paste 🙂

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for your comments and for the stars 🙂

I understand your concern Helga an d I agree with some points.

For us It doesnt matter if a guest a has just few reviews and might get a low stars rate we can still message the host who left the review to have more information.

I dont think it will affect the customer services objectivity as for me their policy is customers first and it seems that the customer is the guest:)

From our personal experience, so far we had few very bad guests that I wish to nobody to host, some how theses guests had random/ good review when we did accept it. All the "negative" reviews that we wrote have been deleted...

Generally when you see airbnb guests review it feel like everyone is nice and perfect guest which totally differ with the real life and with the story on the airbnb community...

I think host should have more information about the guest because at the end of the day we are welcoming them in our home and we defitly do not and dont want to accept anyone.

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

@Tania-and-Andrew0

Thanks for your comment. We like the idea but could find how to post in new host forum 😕

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Carl-and-Elodie0, I have written a few reviews to give the next host reason to think about the guest before confirming and two or three (of 200) in a way, that no more thinking is needed: if it's not an empty swiming pool with a tent in it for rent, every host will deny. 

If it gets that bad, it's important to be perfectly polite, understate a bit, be unemotional in the review and give airbnb a very torough description in the private feedback to airbnb. Even better, if you were already in contact, or call them before writing the review to discuss matters. And/or have some messages about the infractions in the message thread. 

None of my reviews for guests were ever amended, that I'm aware of, and I check some of the profiles from time to time, to know if other hosts fell for them.

It must be very annoying if you are upset with good reason, do your best to warn other hosts and then the warning disappears. Therefore it's important, to have no emotional or moral judgement in the review, as this gives leverage to have it removed. Bare facts are not censored. 

- I suppose, if / when the stars are/will be visible, entitled guests will have them removed too and the service will comply with such a request, if the review does not give objective details. 

@Carl-and-Elodie0  I reviewed a guest as follows: " nice guest, very clean and quiet, however ignored house rules and invited additional unregistered people". I gave him a thumbs down which Airbnb can see but not prospective hosts. I think a factual written review is a more constructive method to evaluate a guest and gives both guest and next host the information needed for a more successful visit.