'Instant Book' feature penalizes hosts who choose not to use it

'Instant Book' feature penalizes hosts who choose not to use it

When someone searches for a home, they are, by default, only shown homes with the instant book feature. As a host who doesn't want to apply this feature to my listing i am being severely disadvantaged, and am loosing guests as a result.

The default should not exclude those without instant book.  
The default should include all listings, with the option to filter by instant book if one wishes to do so.

Please change the default search settings so that hosts, like me, are not penalized. 

22 Comments
Todd-and-Reese0
Level 10

They have been doing this for a while. I only found out when I went to book as a guest. I have Instant Book on now, but charge a deposit, cleaning fee, and specify what type of guests we prefer and won't accept in the pre-booking message and house rules.

Jeff89
Level 7

The default instant book filter turning on by default also seems to be dependent on the number of properties available in the area (or neighbouring areas) for the date ranges entered 

I totally agree.  Very unfair to penelize hosts who cannot for whatever reason use the instant book feature.  

Jeni9
Level 2

I find Instant book at odds with the concept of hospitality and welcoming guests.

Marre0
Level 1

I couldn´t agree more, specially with Jeni. I understand this avoids unwanted discrimination, but as a private person who likes to ineract with their guests I feel I end up working like a hotel, which is exactly what we are not.

Elizabeth402
Level 1

I agree, I want to know who is coming to spend time in my house. I want to do my best to find out if they are going to enjoy being in my home and if i want these people in my home. this is what airbnb is really about no?

Joanna85
Level 10

It's unsafe to use IB.  If you are an actual landlord, you cannot discriminate, but you can pass on people who are convicted felons, child molesters, have evictions or bad credit, have criminal history you don't find appropriate....even low income (most renters have to prove they can afford the rental).  Just having any sort of person in your residence...that can bring about trouble...it is only a matter of time before something really bad happens if you take on lots and lots of guests.  I am not running a hotel..I am renting a bed and shower to people in the home in which I live, which was the main initial purpose of Airbnb.  I do not have security or a staff to cater to check ins 24/7 and I don't have housekeeping services on call.  I am not a hotel. Airbnb does not have your back entirely if something goes wrong, you are responsible and accordingly you should not be penalized if you decide to vet a guest before they stay in your home to avoid possible awful.

Andrew395
Level 3

Instant Booking is what guests like, it shows that you are awake and open. However 90 % of your guests will never click this function until they have spoken with you. Guests actually want to know if the host is sane and safe. My advice is turn on Instant Booking and see how it actually works, you will be surprised.

Ryan-And-Stacy0
Level 2

I turned off my instant booking but got a request 2 weeks later saying my house was just what this party was looking for.

So they found me anyway and booked 3days.

Sean119
Level 10

Filtering out non-IB listings is plainly biased.  If ABB wants to "reward" listings that have IB, prioritize them in the search results.  In my market, the most successful/booked properties are mostly non-IB.  However, if you zoom in on the map to a non-IB (which is available) listing it does not show in the results.  

Just another reason we hedge our bets with another listing platform.