It should be illegal for guest to book on behalf of someone else

It should be illegal for guest to book on behalf of someone else

This happens so often: a guy books on behalf of his parents - his parents are not reachable. Nor is the son. Such a typical situation , but in terms of legalities, this is surely quite serious : 

The guest has given false information. Booking information can be shared with authorities. Providing incorrect names on profiles should be a serious offence. 

3 Comments

We do not agree with you.  However, we have had this on several occassions, and insist that the sibling booking for their parents provides us with their parents, full names, mobile nos. and email address.  This has always been forthcoming, and the person booking, in our case, has had a list of good reviews for themselves.

I do believe if we are not comfortable with the information given that we should be Able to REJECT ANYONE BOOKING FOR A NON MEMBER, without PENALTY.

Hi Julie,

You are welcome to reject this boking without penalties. 
If you accept a third party booking and the guest damaged your property you are on your own, you are not entitled to the airbnb insurance.

Bryan10
Level 10

I agree with you generally, although I recently had a good experience of a 3rd party booking which I'd like to share: a local business manager booked on behalf of a travelling member of staff in my area (I'm based near a major airport). He explained what he was doing and put me in touch with the guest, so I could give directions and coordinate his arrival. I know we're not supposed to do this, but it worked so smoothly, I just thought 'why not' and I'd be happy to do so again for the same people.