LATE NIGHT messages!

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

LATE NIGHT messages!

I am getting really fed up with text messages waking me in the night to tell me someone has booked or has asked a question.
WHY is there not a time to switch off notifications?!!
Last night a guy messaged me at 2.50am .... my phone vibrates as well as sounds and this may well have disturbed my guest in the room below.
No, I cannot turn off my phone as I leave it on for emergency calls from my son or daughter.  (Plus wake up alarms).
I have already put this in my ad in several different places under booking and description, but many clearly do not read through these!
Do these people not sleep??!!!  (No, it was not a message from overseas).

22 Replies 22
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Zed0 Your phone should be able to help you with this. 

Mine has a Do Not Disturb setting. This allows calls to come in from my Favorites list and alarms still come thru. Check your particulars to get your technology to help you

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 Thanks.  I don't have a smart phone.  It's an old HTC windows phone and I have never seen a Do not disturb setting on it.  I am not tech minded at all.  I will ask my son when he comes to stay in July ; )

Catherine137
Level 3
San Anselmo, CA

You can change the notification settings on your computer.  Go to your dashboard then account and you can turn off text notifications.  

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Hit the thumbs up on this to request it as a feature.

i agree! There should be a timeframe to get text notifications.

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Kelly the do not disturb doesn't work since Airbnb isn't texting from one single number so they can't be added as a favorite.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Susie0 the do not disturb works by allowing favorites through: kids, spouse, work, etc but not sending thru generic numbers (telemarketing, abb, etc) during the times when you have it on

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

@Catherine137
The text notifications are vital to me as it lets me know to switch on my laptop and answer the messages, (only part of the messages appear on my phone, also annoying ).   If the banks can allow you a choice of when to receive notifications, surely Airbnb can too.  
Any potential guest sending messages after 11pm is inconsiderate in my opinion, but I still want bookings, so avoiding late wake-ups would be very nice.

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

@Susie0 Thanks.  How do we get this through to Airbnb though?
I doubt they will see this.

Catherine137
Level 3
San Anselmo, CA

I agree that it should be added.  I signed up for SmartBnB several months ago.  It uses automation to respond to inquiries, questions, etc.  It gives me a market report daily and refreshes my calendar every hour.  I put my phone in sleep mode when I go to bed so now I don't have to worry about responding or getting woken up at 3am.  There is, of course a fee.  $18/month but well worth it to me.

Catherine137
Level 3
San Anselmo, CA

There are also other automation companies out there.  YourPorter is one of them and they have a free versionand other versions that go up to $6/month.

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

@Catherine137  That does sound good.  But only for those with a Smart phone.  I am sensitive to EMF's so avoid all I can. Plus, I only earn up to 500 a month, not much to live on, so can't afford any extra fees.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Kelly149:  As has been pointed out, the Do Not Disturb Feature is not a solution for Airbnb notifications text messages, etc., which come through at all hours, day or night.  "You still have time to leave a review?" etc. etc.  There is no way to shut it off without shutting everything off from Airbnb, except Requests.  Hosts have been asking Airbnb to stop this **bleep** for the year that I've been hosting, and the request continues to be ignored.

Catherine137
Level 3
San Anselmo, CA

@Zed0 They work on a desktop and phone.  YourPorter is pretty robust for 5 bucks a month.  They offer a free trial too.

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

@Catherine137 Thanks for your help & info.  I don't know what we have here in the UK, but I don't feel that I/we should have to make changes or incurr extra costs when Airbnb should really make sure the notifications do not come through during the night.