LGBT guests should be able to search for LGBT friendly hosts, for safety and comfort

LGBT guests should be able to search for LGBT friendly hosts, for safety and comfort

'LGBT Friendly' should be a search function, for LGBT guests to find hosts who will provide a safe and friendly space for them when travelling. 

14 Comments
Anthony203
Level 2

I'm pretty sure I used to search by "keyword" "gay" and now ABnB has removed the keyword function. Why is that?

I certainly feel more confortable staying with someone gay so that there is no moment of, "Oh, you're gay?" when I arrive and am wanting to ask about gay neighborhoods, restaurants, clubs, stores etc.

It make for a much easier transaction when there is transparency.

What does this have to do with race or religion?

Idania-Martin0
Level 4
I totally agree and I would like very much to belong to an Airbnb that is for our community ..... and to be able to reserve my house to so many Gay people that there are in the world, and that the site is official and THAT HAS NOTHING TO SEE WITH HETEROSEXUAL PEOPLE SO THAT THEY DO NOT FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE THAT THERE ARE AIRBNB HETEROS AND ANOTHER PAGE AIRBNB GAY.
Michelle140
Level 5

Honestly, I would like a discreet way to indicate I am LGBT friendly. I live in the country, and imagine there are LGBT people who would appreciate a safe place to get away from the city, but I also know there IS discrimination and I don't necessarily want to advertise my personal beliefs, as I am already opening myself up to a whole slew of risk by renting out my room on Airbnb... I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it is the unfortunate truth.

Also, I feel this is a much better solution than just insisting on the absence of discrimination from all. It is safer for the community to be able to search who actually IS non-discriminatory than to just go in putting faith on the Airbnb non-discrimination policy. Unfortunately, we are a long way from there being no discrimination at all, and until we get there, we need to keep everyone safe.

Michelle140
Level 5

I just had an idea. Instead of this checkbox option being saying that you are LGBT friendly or not, it should be for people to indicate whether they are especially interested in hosting people with an alternative lifestyle (or something similarly worded). The point being that whether you check the option or not, you are not allowed to discriminate or reject a reservation or kick someone out of your house, but so LGBT people can search for hosts who are actively interested in hosting them. I don't know how they would do that, but I do agree that no one should discriminate, but also feel like people should be able to search for particularly friendly hosts. Similar to being able to check whether you are kid or baby friendly, for example. I don't know, but I would love for people to be able to find me if looking for an open and friendly place to stay and not have to worry or be concerned, especially since it could be assumed that there could be some bigotry out away from the cities in the country...