LGBT guests should be able to search for LGBT friendly hosts, for safety and comfort

Emily12
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

LGBT guests should be able to search for LGBT friendly hosts, for safety and comfort

'LGBT Friendly' should be a search function, for LGBT guests to find hosts who will provide a safe and friendly space for them when travelling. 

14 Replies 14
Darren-and-Ralph0
Level 2
Surry Hills, Australia

This is a great idea!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Interesting idea but wonder if the slippery slope would be to have search functions for different races and religions.  So if a host doesn't check the search function for any of these groups would it be assumed that certain groups are not "safe".  Actually I think it would be illegal to discriminate for or against any "protected" group.  Perhaps the very important issue you raise cannot be addressed through the search functions but need to be addressed in a more personal way between host and guest.

Emily12
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Linda, I haven't mentioned race or religion so I think you're showing your prejudice by using a 'slippery slope' argument, but I think it would be totally fair to say that if a host doesn't make the effort to create, and indicate, a safe space for travellers of protected groups (if AirBnB offered that option) that it would be reasonable for a traveller from that group to choose another option, and assume that space is not safe for them.

Ensuring that LGBT travellers feel safe, and know their sexuality or gender identity is not going to be an endangering or discomfort-causing factor during their stay, is not 'discrimination' - nor is it illegal to 'discriminate' *for* a protected group. That's why they're protected, because they're already descriminated against.

It is unfair (and currently does not work) to expect an LGBT guest to discuss the specifics of what constitutes a safe and comfortable trip for them, with every host they make a booking request to. It's also unfair for LGBT hosts to have to leave a reference to their LGBT status in their listing in the hope that someone reads it, when it would clearly be a big factor in a guest's choice of place to stay if they could easily seach for it (or even keywords!).

These factors include, but are not limited to:
- Same-sex partners can share a bed without a problem. 

- No residents in or visitors to the property during your stay hold, communicate or enact discriminatory views against LGBT people

- Hosts are able to provide advice about local safe social spaces, and local customs, to improve personal safety for LGBT guests

- Guests can use bathrooms of their preferred gender, where relevant. 

- Guests will be safe from discrimination and violence in shared areas of the property (e.g. pool or common room)

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have misinterpreted my reaction to your suggestion and decided that I am predjudice which is precisely why your solution to the problem is not the best way to address a very important issue, i.e., safety for everyone, including LGBT guests.

Although I have stated I agree with your concern, if I do not agree with your solution, you believe I must harbor predjudice against the LGBT community.  If that is the case, what if there was a LGBTsearch function and someone like me (who you think is predjudice) indicated LGBT friendly, how would the guest be safer?

Emily12
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Why would you indicate yourself as LGBT friendly if you weren't? How would that get you positive reviews? How would that help you to respond knowledgably or helpfully to LGBT specific queries? Or racial or religious ones, for that matter? 

I don't think you have predjudice agains the LGBT community, I think you have predjudice of some kind, because your fear in response to my suggesiton is that it's a 'slippery slope' towards people from protected groups being able to decide not to stay in places that don't explicitly express their support for them. If that's your fear, or your priority, then you aren't a positive space for those people. 

Alicia55
Level 4
Dallas, TX

It is a tough problem. I'm a lesbian who hosts solo and happens to be 6'9" and trans. I've had some guests that were concerning. I often wish LGBT guests could self identify or call in and ask to be marked as such to avoid it being "put in the face" of problematic people. Some guests I wish had excluded themselves just to have instead had better open minded guests sharing my space and time with.

Or maybe the solution is to have a selection for guests to self identify and their prefence. Hosts have the option to then self identify to have filters applied. It would need to be thoguht through to avoid negative targetting.  Maybe it's not available until some substatnial verification is given. not that substatial. stahp. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jeff70
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

There is already Misterbnb for gay male hosts, but I rarely get any bookings through that website since Airbnb is the biggest and best. That said, I really would like attract more LGBT guests, since I'm a gay host. Adding this as an option allows gay lesbian guest to feel more safe when booking, since they know they'll be staying with "family."

I'm not in any way suggesting that I want to discriminate against my wonderful straight guests, I want everyone to feel welcome.  But, many LGBT guests are slightly apprehensive about where they are going to stay and having a gay host makes booking with them feel safer. Besides, LGBT host know about all of the gay restaurants, clubs and events, so the guests can find their way around easily and safely.

This is a great idea!

keyword search is a very easy way to find LGBT friendly hosts. you can use google.

but pressure airbnb to bring back keyword search - it would make life easier for hosts and guests alike.

Amy142
Level 2
Perth, Australia

I love women from amy

Anthony203
Level 2
Collingswood, NJ

I'm pretty sure I used to search by "keyword" "gay" and now ABnB has removed the keyword function. Why is that?

I certainly feel more confortable staying with someone gay so that there is no moment of, "Oh, you're gay?" when I arrive and am wanting to ask about gay neighborhoods, restaurants, clubs, stores etc.

It make for a much easier transaction when there is transparency.

What does this have to do with race or religion?

I totally agree and I would like very much to belong to an Airbnb that is for our community ..... and to be able to reserve my house to so many Gay people that there are in the world, and that the site is official and THAT HAS NOTHING TO SEE WITH HETEROSEXUAL PEOPLE SO THAT THEY DO NOT FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE THAT THERE ARE AIRBNB HETEROS AND ANOTHER PAGE AIRBNB GAY.
Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

Honestly, I would like a discreet way to indicate I am LGBT friendly. I live in the country, and imagine there are LGBT people who would appreciate a safe place to get away from the city, but I also know there IS discrimination and I don't necessarily want to advertise my personal beliefs, as I am already opening myself up to a whole slew of risk by renting out my room on Airbnb... I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it is the unfortunate truth.

Also, I feel this is a much better solution than just insisting on the absence of discrimination from all. It is safer for the community to be able to search who actually IS non-discriminatory than to just go in putting faith on the Airbnb non-discrimination policy. Unfortunately, we are a long way from there being no discrimination at all, and until we get there, we need to keep everyone safe.

Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

I just had an idea. Instead of this checkbox option being saying that you are LGBT friendly or not, it should be for people to indicate whether they are especially interested in hosting people with an alternative lifestyle (or something similarly worded). The point being that whether you check the option or not, you are not allowed to discriminate or reject a reservation or kick someone out of your house, but so LGBT people can search for hosts who are actively interested in hosting them. I don't know how they would do that, but I do agree that no one should discriminate, but also feel like people should be able to search for particularly friendly hosts. Similar to being able to check whether you are kid or baby friendly, for example. I don't know, but I would love for people to be able to find me if looking for an open and friendly place to stay and not have to worry or be concerned, especially since it could be assumed that there could be some bigotry out away from the cities in the country...