LOCATION STAR RATINGS

LOCATION STAR RATINGS

In general, I think the star ratings that guests leave, work fairly well...all except for "location" stars.

Unless I am misunderstanding the system, I believe for hosts, the stars are there to show us what areas we need to improve.   I sometimes recieve a low score for location, which is something I simply cannot improve on. My house is... where it is!  The guests have a map which shows the distance from the CBD, Airport etc and I also mention the actual km's in my listing details.  Is it my fault that they don't read the listing carefully before booking?  I don't think I should be penalised for this.

I understand that guests need to know how fellow guests feel about the location but I do not think it should effect the superhost status. 

I am interested to hear how other hosts feel about this...

16 Comments
Aaron40
Level 1

I agree, I clearly state on my description that it is next to a road, but still get dinged for it on occassion.   

That said, I think that Superhost status isn't worth worrying about too much.  It doesn't raise search listings.  It's just a badge, and I don't think many people know what it is when searching.

Zandra0
Level 10

It doesn't affect superhost status 🙂 

I've been a superhost twice and have an average of 51% 5 star reviews on location.  The only thing that counts is overall experience. 

Donald0
Level 3

Having had my star grading pulled down regarding location, I took the following steps.

So, with some guests down grading me on the location stars, I altered the copy in my property description. Thus I made it clearer what distances were but avoiding any negative connotations.

Thus I cover myself with a realistic/truthful description but keep it positive i.e.  "guests are only 20 minutes’ walk to the beach but only 7 minutes on the bicycles I provide....."

Mike127
Level 2

I agree, I clearly state on my description that it is next to a rmain road, the road can be muddy when rain is heavy, but still get dinged for it on occassion.  Recently airbnb paused our listing because of this...NOT FAIR.....

Larisa4
Level 9

The ratings are not intended to let the host know what to improve, otherwise they wouldn't be public on the listing.  The ratings are to inform potential guests about the property. 

As for it affecting Super Host status ... it doesn't.  Only the "Overall" rating affects Super Host.

Andrea9
Level 10
I noticed by chance that in Tallinn/Estonia the segments: VALUE, LOCATION, CHECK IN are not included in the star ratings on the listing page. I wonder if that's a new pilot trial????!!!
Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Viorica0
Level 2

I agree that should not affect the status superhost and still does by the rating granted

I couldnt agree more with this! If the person lies about the location, then I say rate them on the accuracy of the listing. the location evaluation makes asolutely no sense, and brings down the star rating for a host based on nonsense! also, prices reflect the location, we are not charging nearly as much as people who are close to the tourist areas, but people want the best of both worlds, low cost accomodation but expect to be 2 min walking distance to all the hot spots... get rid of this evaluation Airbnb!

We echo many of the responses here, Airbnb please ammend how location is reviewed. When a review is based on something the host has no control over and it is decsribed  in text, on a map and the guests choose not to take that into consideration when booking, it should not be a reviewable item.