List cancellation history of guests

Todd5
Level 4
Hermosa Beach, CA

List cancellation history of guests

I had guests who had canceled right before my refund policy kicked in. Meaning they could cancel up to five days before arriving. This left me with a big gap and almost no time to fill it. Since the guests didn't stay, I couldn't write a review, but I wanted to let other unsuspecting hosts know that these guests had a history of canceling (even if it was just once).

I propose that all guest profiles list any cancellations that have made by the guest in the past. If it was in a reasonable time period, then no problem. But if there is a consistent pattern of last-minute cancellations, then the hosts should know in advance, before potentially losing out on a significant reservation.

11 Replies 11
Victoria98
Level 1
Kirdford, United Kingdom

Should there be deposits?

Steve103
Level 9
Florida, United States

I really like the more accountability on guests and this should be a mark on their account for sure. Absolutely. 

People will be less likely to allow a pattern to develop if there was some sort of history on their account. 

Tsila0
Level 1
Toms River, NJ

I belive should be 10 days or more notice, if any cacealations. I use VRBO as well they have a great cancelation policy. They have options you can choose

Kathy68
Level 2
Napa, CA

Nice idea

I think this is a very good idea.  I would also like Airbnb to include a rating in the guest profile scoring their response time to questions we may ask prior to accepting a booking.  It seems unfair that hosts are strictly rated on response time and face penalties if we are not prompt. 

I have had requests from potential guests and before accepting the booking have had to ask them a question.  An example of this happened only five days ago.  My apartment is in Central London.  People visiting London not only come for business or a vacation but some middle eastern families accompany elderly relatives with a medical referral. 

I received such a request recently from a gentleman bringing his elderly father from Saudia Arabia for medical treatment.  He did not describe his father's illness but before accepting the booking I thought it only fair to inform him that there is a flight of stairs from the ground floor entrance leading up to my apartment.  I was concerned that his father may be frail and unable to climb stairs.  My response to his enquiry was 40 minutes after receiving his text. 

Despite the fact that I sent him a special offer and pre-approval he did not respond.  This is so inconsiderate and extremely rude.  The dates become automatically reserved and one is waiting in vain for a response.  There should be a shared code of rule and expectation governing both guest and host responses time.  Each party should respond within a given time and face penalties if they do not comply. 

Mary-and-Jeff1
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Yes, we need to be able to see when guests have cancelled as well as hosts.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Great idea!

Michele35
Level 4
Austin, TX

Agreed.

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

Rick27
Level 2
Seattle, WA

This has happened to me several times as well.  I have moderate cancellation fee listed, but I have been cancelled on several times, say 8 days before, and lost substantial income.  In once case it was a 30 day booking, cancelled 10 days prior.  There is no way to make that up. 

I propose a 25% cancellation fee in the first 14 days, and the 50% for 7 days. 

Dave209
Level 1
Heslington, United Kingdom

Yep - hosts should definitely be able to see a cancellation history of guests. I thought there was some deterrent for repeated cancellations by guests but cannot find this easily on the Airbnb help system. Does anybody out there know how to find reference to this?