Occupancy tax payments to counties

Occupancy tax payments to counties

I have read that AirBNB will pay the Transient Occupancy Taxes on hosts' behalf in Santa Cruz County, CA - the location of my home.

We also list through other services that require us to remit the taxes. Given that AirBNB has never asked for our Transient Occupancy Tax certificate number, how do we know the taxes will be applied to the right place?

Thanks,

Susan

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Susan123 If that's true, you are one of the lucky ones.  If Airbnb is going to collect on your behalf, go to Location in your Manage Listing settings.  I think that's where you would enter all the info.  

Norma6
Level 1
Banning, CA

I need to add occupancy tax to my listing...HOW

@Norma6 for those of us who are not lucky enough to have Airbnb collect Occupancy taxes on our behalf, there are only two options as described in this help article:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

I just include it in my nightly price and while that has its downsides, it make things much easier for me and my guests.  I pay the taxes monthly on the gross reservation price, before the 3% Airbnb fee is deducted. 

Not very satisfactory, I know, but I'm hoping that Airbnb is developing a way to add taxes like they do the cleaning fee.  

I believe you will find that AirBnb does not collect and pay tot.  they expect you to include it in your rate, which in Santa Cruz County does not conform to their regulations.