Make it possible to decline inappropriate booking requests

Make it possible to decline inappropriate booking requests

This content has been translated and reposted from Jörg from the German language to English. We cannot ensure the precise accuracy and appreciate your understanding!

If a guest makes a booking request, the only options I receive from Airbnb are "Accept" or "Decline." If I decline the booking, this has a negative impact on my statistics, even if the request from the guest violates the rules. Removing these requests from my statistics takes considerable effort and has to be done via Support. For example: I rent a 6-m2 room with a 90-cm-wide bed. Although the room has been set up as being for "1 person," there are always booking requests for this "1-person" room (cheaper price for a tiny room) that state "a couple" would like to stay. I always have to ask guests to withdraw the request because the room and infrastructure of the apartment are not designed for this number of guests. However, the guest is the one who has ignored the "Room for 1 person" designation. I propose that a third button be added and that declining a request under these circumstances should not negatively impact the host: "Declined due to violation of rules." If this button is pressed, a drop-down menu should appear that contains valid reasons for declining a request: - Incorrect number of guests - Guest wishes to arrive outside the check-in time - Guest wishes to bring a child, even though the listing states "Not suitable for children" - Guest wishes to bring a dog, even though the listing states "Not suitable for pets" - Guest wishes to book on behalf of another person - Guest wishes to book a short break and extend their stay outside of Airbnb If anyone has experienced any other reasons, please add to the list. If there is a rule violation of this kind by a guest and the request is declined as a result, the following should appear in the reviews: "Date: Host declined the booking due to violation of rules." This should be the same as the review that a host receives when they cancel a guest's booking: "Booking canceled by host." Poor behavior by guests should remain in their reviews, as is the case for hosts. This would lead to guests taking more care when booking.

Response from Airbnb

Some guests, though well intentioned, may not closely read all the information in a listing or may be hoping that you can “bend the rules, just this once.” Sometimes you just have to say no, and we understand this, which is why our system allows leeway for hosts to reject reservations.  

A few rejections won’t have negative consequences. However, consistent rejections could lower your search rankings. We want both hosts and guests to have a positive experience on Airbnb, so as a host, you should be aiming to accept most of the reservation requests you receive. If you find that you’re rejecting as many requests as you’re accepting (or nearly as many), this may indicate your listing settings could be adjusted. Here are some things to check that might help you avoid inappropriate requests:

• Be as clear as possible with your House Rules. For example, you can say that you will reject requests that exceed your maximum number of allowed guests.
  • Keep your calendar as up to date as possible. Limit how far in advance guests can book to minimize surprise requests.
  • Check your controls for Instant Book. This article explains which settings you can adjust to help avoid bookings that don’t fit your House Rules.

Please remember that all hosts agreed to Airbnb’s non-discrimination policy, and it’s vital that each host maintain a community that is inclusive and respectful.

Hopefully, the above tips will help you minimize the number of reservations you need to reject and alleviate your concerns around your acceptance rate (which isn’t published anywhere, by the way). If you’re still getting a lot of inappropriate reservation requests, please keep communicating with us so that we can look for other ways to address this particular issue.

6 Comments
Airbnb
Official Account
Status changed to: Not In Plan

Cormac0
Level 10

@Airbnb

It should be in the plan your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Not In Plan

Huma0
Level 10

I don't think this is a satisfactory response from Airbnb. I have plenty of information on my listing and house rules and have filled in all the necessary sections, check the boxes etc. to make sure it's all crystal clear.

However, a huge percentage of guests do not read any of it. In fact, perhaps the majority. If you're lucky, you can meet the requirements of most, but why should the host be penalised for the mistakes of guests? I noticed a direct impact, i.e. decline in bookings, after having to decline a few requests around the same period.

I frequently get requests from guests with children, even though my listing clearly states 'no children'. I have even received several of these in the space of a week.

It's perfectly understandable that guests make mistakes and inevitable that many can not be bothered to read anything, but Airbnb, please stop penalising the host for this. It's not fair.

Ann10
Level 10

Typical Airbnb response! So sorry Jorg! Customer Service at Airbnb is the worst on earth! I got an answer to my question in English from someone who obviously could not speak English and did not understand the question at all. The new Super Host Quotas are a horrible idea, and a horrible thing to do to people who have been Super Hosts for years. Now they have people who can't even intelligently answer a question about the new plan. Horrible! I feel for you!

Seattle-Oasis0
Level 3

Airbnb, you have the data, fix the issue.  If the guest is searching for 2 people, then the listing shouldn't come up.  Similarly we have minimum age requirements due to insurance.  We have it posted in our listing description AND house rules.  However we still get guests that book anyway.  We require Airbnb to have ID on the guest.  So Airbnb HAS the guests age.  However Airbnb still sends us guests that aren't a good fit for our property.  And we pay the price if we reject them because 1) Airbnb doesn't use the data they have 2) Guests don't read.  Yet the host gets punished.  Fair?  I think not.