More cancellation options ( re new 100% refund policy)

More cancellation options ( re new 100% refund policy)

There is such a diversity of properties on Airbnb that one size fits all for cancellation policy is never going to work. Why not let hosts choose the % of cancellation fee and timing of penalty to suit their particular context?

Rationale: The policy is now global of having 100% refund to guests for hosts with Flex or Moderate cancellation policy - ie there used to be a disincentive of paying Airbnb service fee, but that is now refunded to guest. The only option to provide disincentive is to have a Strict cancellation policy that means that guests pay at least 50% on cancellation - a harsh penalty, and a glaring gap between this and other policies. Home lettings are not hotels! Some hosts will be affected much more than others with this ease of cancellation, especially remote, seasonal locations.

43 Comments
Emma-and-Ron0
Level 2

We have a strict policy.  We were expecting a guest tonight.  Unfortunately guest cancelled this morning.  We have received notification that we will be paid out 50%.  Shouldn't we receive 100% since we have a strict policy?

Mike127
Level 2

Hi Belinda,

We toltally agree to have more options for hosts. It seems Airbnb is leaning more towards the "Guests" then Hosts.

How are you going to get another booking if the guest cancels the day before? They will get 100% refund, YOU are flexible and you get nothing. Some people are bad planners and leave a trail of cancellations in their wake. There should be some even handedness for all...

Cormac0
Level 10

@Belinda55

Why should a Host be penalised for a guest’s ineptitude or misfortune, we are not charities and there is a opportunity cost in this for us.

I genuinely do not understand Airbnb policy on this, they still get their fee,  while not thinking the Host are losing out hundreds of Dollars, Euros etc.

I don’t think hotels refund under those circumstances, yet we Host are obliged to,  I’m sticking to a strict policy and beside it stops time wasters in their tracks.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Emma-and-Ron0
Level 2

Our bad! After calling Airbnb, we found out that we were confusing an upcoming booking with another one that did cancelled two weeks ago. Indeed we have a strict policy and we received 50% of a booking that was cancelled.

Amy38
Level 10

Hotels bill the first night if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance of checkin.

I believe 'moderate' still requires 5 days notice and now there is a new Super-strict category which is the old Strict.

if everyone will thumbs up the original post, abnb starts looking at the issue.when 20 people like it.

@Cormac0@lizzie

We have a strict cancellation policy - guests pleaded that their booking dates conflicted with a strict safari scheduling so we gave them full refund. We received a message from Airbnb next day to say that the guests no longer needed accommodation as they had booked elsewhere for exact same dates!

Belinda55
Level 10

@Mike-and-Liliane0 This is a perfect example of how cancellations cause great problems for hosts - but are great for airbnb and guests. There are other examples where 'strict' isn't really strict because airbnb overrides it. When I have had to cancel (non-airbnb) accommodation and pay a penalty, I have claimed it on travel insurance. Why should hosts bear so much of the risk? We need more options. Make sure you upvote my original post - if it gets 20 likes airbnb will look at the issue 🙂

Michelle140
Level 5

I would love more options, but personally have not had a problem with this yet. I have a flexible cancellation policy. I've never had any last-minute cancellations, except for one person who instant booked immediately before they wanted to stop for a room and then immediately cancelled after they saw that I was further than they were expecting, lol. I figure having a more flexible cancellation policy gives the guests more security, and a security which is rarely exercised. So I think I net positive over losing business with a less flexible cancellation policy. I'm sure I would change my mind if I were always reliably booked and started having more cancellations, which would then more certainly have caused me a loss in income.

Belinda55
Level 10

@Michelle140 Thanks for your comment. I also have not had a problem with flexible cancellation policy, but until very recently there was a disincentive for guests to cancel (they still paid the airbnb fee). Now guests will get 100% refund up to 5 days ahead.

In my situation for example (beach getaway) guests could check the weather forecast then decide to cancel with no penalty. I feel I can't risk this situation, so have changed to Strict cancellation, although I feel it is too harsh. I can see that this affects hosts differently depending on their context, so would like to see more options for hosts.

Please be sure to upvote (like) my original post so that Airbnb will look at the issue!

Michelle140
Level 5

@Belinda55, I get it now. That could definitely cause an increase in cancellations if they can cancel for no penalty at all. If I started to have more cancellations, I'd definitely look into changing my policy, and it would be optimum to be able to set your own cancellation policy. 😃