More cancellation options ( re new 100% refund policy)

More cancellation options ( re new 100% refund policy)

There is such a diversity of properties on Airbnb that one size fits all for cancellation policy is never going to work. Why not let hosts choose the % of cancellation fee and timing of penalty to suit their particular context?

Rationale: The policy is now global of having 100% refund to guests for hosts with Flex or Moderate cancellation policy - ie there used to be a disincentive of paying Airbnb service fee, but that is now refunded to guest. The only option to provide disincentive is to have a Strict cancellation policy that means that guests pay at least 50% on cancellation - a harsh penalty, and a glaring gap between this and other policies. Home lettings are not hotels! Some hosts will be affected much more than others with this ease of cancellation, especially remote, seasonal locations.

43 Comments
Richard_Karen0
Level 3

Cancelation policy should also reflect the minimum stay, so if they cancel after the pre checkin window for full refund then they should have to pay the minimum number of nights applicable to the stay, not just the next 24hrs.

Belinda55
Level 10

Hello Airbnb, we now have 20 upvotes for this suggestion to expand the cancellation policy options, so will you now look at this issue please? Thank-you!

Mike127
Level 2

Totally agree. Some guest are bad readers/planners then the host loses income. More options for host regarding cancellations is needed badly...

Tom-and-Lisa0
Level 10

I have two words for Airbnb:  TRAVEL INSURANCE.  Hosts with seasonal rentals are more like cruise ships than hotels.  Refilling cancelled slots is difficult, and hosts should not have to absorb the loss.  This is one of many posts I've made on this topic and hundreds if not thousands of pleas from host to air bnb have produced nothing.  Its another rub which hosts get no help from Airbnb.  I have not had many cancellations, but the ones I have had have been complete losses.  I've now made the switch to a STRICT policy which limits my potential customers and makes me look like I'm greedy.  If airbnb would simply offer TRAVEL INSURANCE, we'd all (guests and hosts) be better served.  It would be a win-win-win:  Airbnb gets a new revenue stream selling the insurance, Guests get refunds if they cancel, and hosts don't get unnecessarily punched in the wallet.  Sure seems like the professional thing to do! 

Belinda55
Level 10

Great comment @Tom-and-Lisa0, totally agree with everything you say. Offering travel insurance would solve the problem for guests and hosts. Airbnb say they will look at issues that have more than 20 upvotes but haven't heard from them on this yet ...

Mike127
Level 2

Excellent idea. We agree!!

@Belinda55 We totally agree with you! Since the policy change, we've had so many "on a whim" cancelations. Financially frustrating and annoying to our cleaner! I really hope Airbnb reconsiders.

Belinda55
Level 10

Dear Airbnb, this idea has had 25 followers for some time now. We would like you to follow it up - could you please respond? Thank-you!

Julia86
Level 2

As a host, I am very frustrated with the new cancellation policy.

I've always had a strict policy until the new policy introduced. With the new 100% refund policy for moderate and flexible, it greatly affect the bookings for the strict policy ones. So, I transferred to moderate, then I got a few cancellations just five days before. 

Now I don't know what to do?

It's not a hotel. We are much more vunerable to the guests' cancellations. I wish Airbnb could work out some better cancellation policies which would have a balanced benefit for guests and HOSTS. 

Dominique319
Level 2
It seems like they're doing this on purpose to push you into picking the option making them the most money. From 2 options giving absolutely no protection to the host to one option that seems just that bit too harsh and cruel towards the guests... that can't be coincidence. Anyway, I'm sticking with strict as although I don't like it I refuse to play their game! What we need is either more options or something completely custom with the option to set different policies for the time of year. For Christmas and NY's and the other holidays I'd want a stricter policy than for the rest of the year.